Kinetic F-86F-40 Sabre *Completed*

BradG

Ahh, glossy. Tamiya gloss 22 is my new favourite. It looks like crap when you first spray it on, but it dries hard and shiney.

cGMaFo2.jpg

Decals started, they are actually nice to use, thin and glossy, but make sure you get them good and wet, with water on the surface otherwise they will stick where they hit. Found that out the hard way with one of the stencils. 

qWPhU3s.jpg

Tail looks good. 

iqiWhPV.jpg

Ah crap. Here we go, things were going too well. Notice the cut outs for the gun ports in the decals are nowhere near right. Now I thought perhaps I stuffed up and put the wrong decal on, nope, I did it by the instructions and if you look carefully at the box, you will notice that the decal there doesn't fit the gun ports either! Looks like I will cut out the lower gun port while masking and painting the sections in. They are straight lines so I should be pretty easy, just a bit of a pain. I knew I should have painted them in the first place.

az7ZASa.jpg

I was going fishing today, but some poor weather made me decide against that. Thus a mammoth decal session lasting 4 hours and all the decals are on. I will let everything dry then hit it with another gloss before fixing up the tulip on the nose. I also have some other bits and bobs to paint like the drop tanks and rear fuselage heat resistant panels.

DX7anUr.jpg

5Tu7x9b.jpg

I think I've found out why Mr Mark works so well on Tamiya gloss....it eats right through it. A little dot of it was left on the under surface and it ate right through to the plastic.

I was going fishing today, but some poor weather made me decide against that

It's the opposite here, the damn sun is shining so I had to do some gardening. Send your rain this way please

Looking good Brad, so unusual to see Black tulip on a jet.

Cheers

M.

It is. You know the frustrating thing about it, the cut outs for the gun ports are in the wrong spots, but the decals fitted perfectly around the fuselage. I should have masked and painted them.

Ok I think this will be my last update before finished pictures. As you can see I've been fitting the ordnance. A member from Germany did contact me about this, he thinks that at the time these aircraft didn't carry bombs and sidewinders due to being a fighter squadron only, but I'm committed.  I've found a few pictures online and it suggests these aircraft were pretty well looked after. They appear to be finished in a semi gloss and show no real signs of dirt, thus I think I will give it a satin coat and just leave it be. The panel lines are already pretty visible along with the rivets, I think a wash now would make it look a bit silly. 

BinKVJE.jpg