Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Nice job...as usual. Those mudguards look like they've just come of my old Landrover!! ... Tim

Hah! Yeah, it is pretty heavy on the mud splatter.  The nice thing about making the mud like this is that it's easy to wipe off any overdone areas with a thinner-dampened qtip. I think I will tone down the more heavily splattered one, now that I look at it. 

WOW!

Really really nice. The mud on the wheels looks fabulous like the mossie rolled through a wet mud patch. The difference in pigment colors really gives life to the treads.

Love the way you stained the roof of the gear bays with this soft color gradation of grime and dirt!

Model on

K

Great job on the wing and landing gear. Can't wait to see you join them all together with the fuselage.

Carl

Thanks, Carl.  I, too, am looking forward to that important step of making it look like an airplane finally. Although that does turn it from a bunch of manageably-sized sub-assemblies into a big honking airplane with a 2 foot wingspan that I'll be afraid to drop every time I touch it...

I really need to get some sort of stand or jig.  I'll have to go back in this thread and look at the ones people recommended. 

WOW!

Really really nice. The mud on the wheels looks fabulous like the mossie rolled through a wet mud patch. The difference in pigment colors really gives life to the treads.

Love the way you stained the roof of the gear bays with this soft color gradation of grime and dirt!

Model on

K

Thanks, Karim.  I'm very humbled by your praise, given the amazing quality you produce. Just rolled through a mud puddle is exactly what I'm going for.  In fact I'm thinking of doing it as a diorama or at least a vignette, with a muddy grass airfield.  Making the wheels all muddy was both an experiment in technique, as well as a sort of kick in the pants for myself to encourage me to follow through on a base for it. 

A small amount of work last night resulted in a major change - it finally looks like a plane!

20180207_235721.jpg

As expected, it fit together like a dream - beautifully engineered to minimize gaps at the join.  

A few detail shots of the rear radio shelf.  I added some wires out of twisted 0.4 lead wire, just to busy it up. The decal for the GEE receiver that I had lost long ago I found again a couple of weeks ago.  I set it with the box so I didn't lose it when time came to put it in, but I seem to have lost it again.  Oh well, the carpet monster giveth, and the carpet monster taketh away.  Besides, unless it's powered up, the oscilloscope screen would be off anyway.

20180207_235642.jpg

20180207_235651.jpg

While the whole plane fits in my spray booth, I have become more limited in my ability to take pretty pictures with my background.  I'm not sure what I'll do when time comes to try to take some nice shots of the whole thing in paint.   Oh well - off to the cannon assemblies now!

Actually, a question about those.  Tamiya instructions say to paint the ammo boxes red brown.  Are these painted that color, or am I dealing with bare plywood? Thanks

Mate,

You have some awesome painting and detailing skills!  I generally avoid trying to put mud on stuff as it never looks realistic to me when I'm done.  But those tires look great!

Gaz

Mate,

You have some awesome painting and detailing skills!  I generally avoid trying to put mud on stuff as it never looks realistic to me when I'm done.  But those tires look great!

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz.  I am really impressed with the work you've done on your albatros.  I admire people who step out of their comfort zones and try new things.  The wood looks really good. 

Re: the mud, yeah I will definitely say that it looked better wet than it does now that it has dried.  I put some gloss on it last night in hopes of getting back to that wet appearance, so we'll see...