Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Ok, on to other parts of the kit! Here's a few shots of one completed nacelle. Both are done.

20180128_012635.jpg

20180128_012657.jpg

20180128_012615.jpg

And some quick work done on the wing spar. I've decided to build the gear bay OOB. The couple photos I can find seem to indicate that it's quite sparse up there anyway, and more to the point, it's too deep and hidden to really be worth my while to do more detailing to. I will put some extra plumbing and wiring into the bomb bay.

20180128_012432.jpg

Next step is building the radiators and attaching wings. Progress is being made! Thanks again to all for following

Really great work. Those merlins look brilliant. After seeing this thread I've crumbled and bought the kit. Will be following on with great interest.

Thanks, Tim. I'm pleased with how they came out - really took my time on them.

You will not be disappointed with the purchase. Although the number of kits I've built since I've been older than 12 is still under ten, it definitely is the best kit I've ever laid hands on.

The engines and nacelles look great, I'll definately be using this thread as a guide.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. There are definitely better Mosquito build threads on here, but I'm happy with the way things are going so far.

I must start mine now..........what did you use for the copper, brass pipework / plumbing, looks so real?

The copper was sprayed with Testors square bottle copper enamel with no primer. The instructions call for two different colors on the engine plumbing - Tamiya metallic brown, and copper. I just painted it all the same color. The fittings are Testors square bottle metallic silver. I hit those with a gloss coat along with the rest of the engine so they could take a wash without disrupting the enamel paint.

That reminds me, I need to hit both engines with satin varnish now. Some progress on radiators and wing spar this afternoon - the next pics I post will be the completed wing assembly!

Super update!

The nacelles with the engines attached are really a work of art they look really really good!!

Can't wait to see you do your magic once the kit is brought together!

Karim

Thanks Karim. I'm really pleased with the way they look. I test fitted them into the wings earlier and they look and fit great. How are things going on your Bronco? Edited by Bstarr3

Cheers, Karim. It is a big bird, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it's only a couple inches bigger in both dimensions than my 1/48 Mitchell already on my shelf. This is my first 1/32 kit, and while I really enjoy the detail in this scale, I am worried about running out of display space

Brian, have a quick squizz at some of the pics in the Walk Around section of the forum, I posted some pics of our Mosquito  B.35 that is being restored in Alberta, although it is a different mark, there are some good shots of the wheel wells, and the center section of the wing spar, for actual real deal colors, this is an original air frame with original colors, and plumbing... the engines are Packard Merlins so will be different than the ones in the kit. Have a look at the Unrestored Mosquito, for a few photos that may possibly help.....

Jeff

Brian, have a quick squizz at some of the pics in the Walk Around section of the forum, I posted some pics of our Mosquito B.35 that is being restored in Alberta, although it is a different mark, there are some good shots of the wheel wells, and the center section of the wing spar, for actual real deal colors, this is an original air frame with original colors, and plumbing... the engines are Packard Merlins so will be different than the ones in the kit. Have a look at the Unrestored Mosquito, for a few photos that may possibly help.....

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It looks like the instructions have it wrong with the inside of the nacelle in aluminum. I think I can reasonably repaint it in interior green without messing things up. Also some really good photos of plumbing and wiring. Since I'm a few more day removed from building the engines, I think I have enough will to add a little extra detail to the undercarriage, although it is not really that far off out of the box. Also confirms the white bombbay, which I wasn't sure about. Thanks for pointing me to those references Edited by Bstarr3

No worries, I am happy to do so, and the bulkhead that holds the engine bearers, on our bird are silver as they are metal and not any kind of green,,,,, I totally agree with you regarding the fabulous detail right out of the box, I thought they got the wheel wells pretty much spot on............... glad to have been a little bit of help.... now I just have to get going on mine...... I am sure loving what you are doing with this kit, Brian...