Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Yeah, Wolf, I think that's the one.  I appreciate your input. 

I, for one, am still learning what it is I enjoy most about modelling.  This is the first time I've tried any significant detailing or scratchbuilding, beyond just wiring up a radial engine.  I do find poring over the research photos interesting, and the ingenuity of figuring out how exactly to model a detail with bits of wire and plastic is fun.  On the other hand, like I said, I really felt like I got in the weeds with these engines, and it felt good to finally say, "that's good enough" and go on to painting and weathering them, with the possibility of getting to the next page of the instructions somewhere in my future.  I think my future is probably going to look like this - some AM, some additional detailing, but not meticulously researched and painstakingly scratch built details like you do.  They're neat to watch in your build threads, but I don't think they're what I want to do with my hobby. 

More updates today.  I have all the fiddly bits attached to the port (detailed) engine, and am ready to assemble it into the nacelle. 

Here is the nacelle, which I painted in Vallejo Metal Color aluminum, and post shaded with some MMP burnt iron. 

Inner_nacelle.jpg

The instructions call for this part to be flat brown.  I feel that I can see some wood grain in my reference photos, so I assumed that I was modelling a wooden structure and used the WNW oil paint technique to apply some wood grain.  Three layers of colors total - first Model Air Middlestone as a base, then a wash of raw umber to get some dark shadows, followed by a mixture of 70/30 burnt umber and burnt siena, thinned with lighter fluid for faster drying.  This was brushed on and then light brushing with a soft bristled flat brush after it had dried for a bit, until I acheived the grain texture I was after.  It looks better in person. 

Wood_effect.jpg

Wood_effect_2.jpg

The exhausts were sprayed with Metal Color exhaust manifold, over black primer.  Then weathered with AK engine wash, and dark earth and rust pigments.  I wanted the rust to be almost imperceptible, and I think it is. I applied Tamiya black panel line wash to the exhaust openings.  I just picked up a bottle of this stuff, and am going to have to get it in other colors!  Big fan - very densely pigmented, flows beautifully.  Unlike some of the Mig and AK washes I've used though, it absolutely needs mineral spirits to clean, and dries pretty fast.  The other stuff can be removed with a dry qtip if you don't let it dry too thoroughly. 

Also evident, sadly, is just how invisible the ignition wiring that I worked so hard on is, once the exhaust stacks are glued on!

Exhausts.jpg

Exhausts_2.jpg

And finally, the oil tank, weathered with AK engine wash and Tamiya black panel line wash, and a shot of the additional plumbing added to the underside of the engine.

Oil_tank.jpg

More_plumbing.jpg

I have the parts for the other engine all painted up as well.  It was 1am when I finally called it last night, so I just had to stop at some point!  But it should be a fairly short amount of work to be finally, finally past the engine construction steps of this kit.  I'll post more when I have more.  Thanks for following. Comments/criticisms always welcome!

Edited by Bstarr3

One of the best exhaust finishes I've seen in a very long time bstarr3!!!

The transition from lighter to darker areas on the individual stack is smooth and gradual. Excellent work done buddy. Looking forward to having the engines attached to the wings

K

Great job Brian! Your paint work is wonderful and really bringing the model to life. I particularly like the way you did your exhaust manifolds.

The brown on the cowl frames wasn't wood but a heavy woven fabric material, sort o' like burlap, that acted as an anti-chaffing pad to prevent metal on metal contact between the cowl panels and the frame. That said, judging by your photos, I wouldn't change anything you've done other than maybe painting the back side of the framework interior green.

Well done Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf

Great work!  The Tamiya Mossie has to go down as arguably one of the greatest aircraft kits in any scale.

Even when it gets late/early in the AM, when Im on a roll, Im on a roll, and usually end up hating having to stop at those points.

I agree, Brian.  This is far and away the best kit I've ever worked on.  Number 2 is Tamiya's 1/48 P-47, which a lot of people regard as the best jug in any scale and some have called the best 1/48 scale kit, period. It's just a joy to work on Tamiya kits!

One of the best exhaust finishes I've seen in a very long time bstarr3!!!

The transition from lighter to darker areas on the individual stack is smooth and gradual. Excellent work done buddy. Looking forward to having the engines attached to the wings

K

Karim, I'm honored at such high praise from someone with your skill level! I am very happy with the way the exhaust stacks came out.  The exhaust manifold paint doesn't quite look right fresh on, but it really pops to life with a little bit of weathering. I'll bet I'm looking forward to having the engines attached to the wings even more than you are.  :frantic:

Great job Brian! Your paint work is wonderful and really bringing the model to life. I particularly like the way you did your exhaust manifolds.

The brown on the cowl frames wasn't wood but a heavy woven fabric material, sort o' like burlap, that acted as an anti-chaffing pad to prevent metal on metal contact between the cowl panels and the frame. That said, judging by your photos, I wouldn't change anything you've done other than maybe painting the back side of the framework interior green.

Well done Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf

Ah, Wolf.  Somehow, I knew that you'd be the one to tell me it wasn't wood. You know, I even thought of asking on here about it, but I just convinced myself that I saw wood on my reference photo and went with it.   :doh:  

Well, it's good to know what the actual purpose of that bit is, and thank you for the compliments on my paint work. Depending on how difficult it will be to get a smooth interior green over that layer of oil paint, I may try that or I may just leave it inaccurate. We'll see. The holes in that strip then represent screws attaching that fabric to the frame? Should they be metal color, or green?

Hi Brian

The holes in the framework are where the cowl fasteners secure the cowl panels to the frame. Just leave 'em as holes. The anti-chaffing strips were secured to the framework with flush rivets. Those would be tricky to represent. I used small silver dots from an aftermarket decal sheet on my Spitfire.

As far as painting the back side of the framework interior green, I'd just mask off the front face and spray the green. Easy peasy eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Thanks Wolf. I laid off last night but between naptimes today and later tonight I hope to make those corrections and get both nacelles completely finished. It will be nice to move on to another part of the project

Loving the work so far. I'm wishing I had spent as much time/skill on my Spitfire engine as you have on your Rolls. They look fantastic as does the entire build so far.

Thanks. I don't know about skill,but I definitely invested time in the Merlins. I really don't feel that the out oars ignition wiring is visible at all unless you remove all the cowlings and look at it from underneath. The additional detailing on the top is quite visible, and was worth it.