Big Metal Birdy - Wingnut's new Steel Dove (Stahltaube)

seiran01

Cheers Karim, Andy!

Here's the latest...

Did a paint test on a scrap hobbycrap NI17 wing, to compare Tamiya RLM gray (WNWs recommended field grey for the airframe) and other colors, to see what looked closest to the Tamiya color once Aviattic linen decals were applied over it.  First try was Mr Color RLM 02, and with the Aviattic German / A-H light linen applied over it, it's pretty close to the Tamiya shade. Dark Ger/A-H linen was also tested here as you'll see in the pics below.

With this in mind, I've finished treating the seams as much as I care to, and painted the wings and fuselage in the Mr Color RLM02. I'll add a bit of shading and staining before I start to apply the Aviattic linen to give it the best depth.  

Wings, landing gear, and tail are not glued in the photo below, even the large wings with small attachment points will stay connected while it's sitting on the table (note - make sure to glue as they'll come off easily if bumped!)

I don't expect I'll have much more chance to work on this before I head back to NZ for vacation next week, but I'm rather liking how it's progressing up to now!

bjA3O9J.jpg

ef5nGUB.jpg

rmbulG1.jpg

91RixCH.jpg

SW5Mb0t.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike!

Merry belated Christmas and happy new year!

Thanks for the headsup on the paint/linen tests and swaths. You suggest XF22 with the light linen then and your suggestion is duly noted my friend!

How's progress coming on the taube?

Karim

Happy new year Karim and everyone else!

Well, the Mr Color RLM02 + light aviattic linen is a very close match to the WNW-recommended XF22, and that's what I'm going with.  Not much progress since last update as I was back in NZ for two weeks. I airbrushed tamiya brown panel line wash onto some areas to give dome variation to the base color, as well as hand painted some acrylic (Citadel) brown wash to a few areas to try and mimic some staining you may see if this had some staining.

I then decided that it'd be a "great" idea to have leveling thinner slosh out of the airbrush and all over the rear fuselage... which led to the creation of a few new swear words. Here's how it looked just after this happened (stabilizer was spared at least!). Since everything dried it isn't looking as bad thank goodness, so I should be able to do some touch-ups on this to even it out instead of needing to repaint the whole fuselage. 

lZGbtHO.jpg

Happy new year Karim and everyone else!

Well, the Mr Color RLM02 + light aviattic linen is a very close match to the WNW-recommended XF22, and that's what I'm going with. Not much progress since last update as I was back in NZ for two weeks. I airbrushed tamiya brown panel line wash onto some areas to give dome variation to the base color, as well as hand painted some acrylic (Citadel) brown wash to a few areas to try and mimic some staining you may see if this had some staining.

I then decided that it'd be a "great" idea to have leveling thinner slosh out of the airbrush and all over the rear fuselage... which led to the creation of a few new swear words. Here's how it looked just after this happened (stabilizer was spared at least!). Since everything dried it isn't looking as bad thank goodness, so I should be able to do some touch-ups on this to even it out instead of needing to repaint the whole fuselage.

lZGbtHO.jpg

Mike!

Good to read from you. I will use the same pain mix with Aviattic linen when the time comes for me to build the taube. I'm also glad the slip of the hand did do more damage. You did right not to touch it after it happened it would have made everything worse!

Looking forward to your progress as your taube now looks quite impressive!!

K

Thanks

To be honest I'm really having trouble staying motivated with this build. It's not by any fault of the kit as it's standard WNW quality, but the bland paint schemes, lack of armament, and something else I can't put my finger on are really making me struggle to want to keep at it. Plus I'm going to start the gotha for the iron rain group build :rolleyes:

Thanks

To be honest I'm really having trouble staying motivated with this build. It's not by any fault of the kit as it's standard WNW quality, but the bland paint schemes, lack of armament, and something else I can't put my finger on are really making me struggle to want to keep at it. Plus I'm going to start the gotha for the iron rain group build :rolleyes:

Mike i keep going back to the kit and i feel somewhat a bit like that too. I can't put a finger on it either. I have a couple in the stasg which WILL be built someday but for some reason the juices haven't started flowing yet. Might join you on that gb!!

K

Thanks

I hear ya.  Models without guns don't do it for me at all.  I quit trying years ago.

Gaz