RB Productions - Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka Type 22 - **FIN!**

Out2gtcha

Kev, Chris, Ron, Ray, thanks for the kind words gents.    Well.....................

I got done marking up the aireframe where I needed to start filling and final sanding. Hey, I thought, since this coat of primer is dry, Ill see how it looks on the dolly now!  Great Idea B, except that for whatever reason (tape sticking out of the arse end maybe? But the resin exhaust will weigh WAY more anyway) NOW the blasted thing will not sit on the dolly without being a tail sitter!

Im not sure what others building this kit did, but the dolly makes the overhang SO cantilever, I cant believe anyone could build this and not put some kind of weight in it. Any-way, I was all out of ideas to make it set back on the nose on the dolly. I REALLY did not want to put any kind of pins or tape on the bottom of the model to keep it on the ground, so I really could think of only 1 thing.........................

Man I HATE doing things like this at the 10th hour but................

20171001_183810-XL.jpg

OUCH! That was painful to do, so I just did it. A bit of a hack job, but I ended up cutting in the perfect spot to conveniently dump a few more Oz of lead shot in between the two halves of lead I put in the fuselage prior to assembly:

20171001_185818-XL.jpg

The JB Weld should be dry by the time I get back to the little Ohka, so should be able to start the filling process tonight after I confirm it actually sits on the dolly correctly.

Cheers all

Tanks guys. It definitely DID suck. I kept the very small square hatch I cut out, so I could use it to help fill the gargantuan hole I created. I'm not exactly sure how much lead I added, but I picked the little Ohka up before work, and it is seriously heavy now in the front.  Not enough to crush the dolly or anything, as the tiny wheels in front are pretty stable, but I'm hoping against hope it was enough to put the thing back on its nose when on the dolly. 

Couldn't you consider gluing the whole plane on the dolly instead?

No, I really REALLY did not want to glue the aircraft to the dolly. It just seemed so wrong. Im not 100% sure, but I dont even think that would have helped, as I believe with the resin tail feathers, even glued to the dolly, it still would have sat on the tail.

No worries cause things are all fixed! 

Im really close to finishing this little guy up, as im on my seemingly 100th round of sanding filling and smoothing. Yet again, I find myself in this position in the 11th hour. No biggie, as I used a combo of thick CA and microbaloons to fill things up:

20171009_204514-XL.jpg

20171009_204606-XL.jpg

20171009_204531-XL.jpg

I then smoothed out all the remaining bumps and seems I could find, and re-shot it with Mr Surfacer 1500 black.   I didnt notice that somehow I had cracked the nose apart with all the weight up there, so once again its round 101 of filling, sanding and smoothing. As you can see, the latest round of black primer also brought out some other little imperfections, so out came the gray Mr Surfacer 1500 and some medium CA for filling the forward nose crack:

20171011_071655-XL.jpg

20171011_071701-XL.jpg

I hopefully will have another round of primer on tonight, so it can dry, then hopefully, MAYBE some paint tomorrow or Friday. 

The canopy?   The kit itself is made of pretty dense resin, but the canopy is vac. Actually a pretty decent vac pull.........as vacs go. Even the windscreen is clear resin. 

Yes, considering how the rest of the kit is not going, I figured that would be your "shining light in the darkness" of the tedium of fitting and sanding/filling/sanding....etc., of a basically resin kit that in looking at especially the wing/fuselage fit, for instance, is not seeming to live up to that phrase as well.

Indeed, it seems like Ive been over this process again and again with this lil guy. However, the fit is actually pretty good, its just I keep finding new areas that need some minor filling after having just filled and sanded.

It is at least part my fault, as chopping up the fuse at the 11th hour always is a big setback, but it feels like Im getting close at this point. I HOPE Im coming to the closing rounds of this primer process!!  :lol:

Im still finish sanding this last layer, and am about to shoot another thin coat of Mr Surfacer black, so Im hoping that I can still shoot some actual paint before the weekend. We shall see!!

Guest Clunkmeister

Brian, you should someday try painting a hot rod or just a car,  it's that process times 100 LOL

Exactly why I never started a hot rod shop. I so, so detest prep work on carbodies

Yeah, my brother in laws best friend ran a shop a few miles from Omaha. I hated sanding as filling then, and hate it now!

With this one, it's more my own fault with annoying last minute changes. Also a top seem that was giving me fits.

I'm about to put down another coat of 1t00 black, so hopefully all it will need from there is a finish sanding them some color.