RB Productions - Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka Type 22 - **FIN!**

Out2gtcha

I added the lower fuselage details, like some of the mounting hardware for the rocket booster (will not be adding that, but needs the mounts still) as well as the airspeed intake indicator on the side which I forgot to take pics of :

20170916_214538-XL.jpg

I also had to sink a plastic tube into the nose, in order to have the main fuse fit correct, as well getting the hole for said fuse perfectly round:

20170916_214612-XL.jpg

Next, was getting the dolly finished. Some very slight weathering here, and all I really have left is assembly:

20170916_214101-XL.jpg

20170916_214201-XL.jpg

20170916_214226-XL.jpg

20170916_214135-XL.jpg

20170916_214116-XL.jpg

MORE...........................

Here is the dolly, dry fit together to see how it looks. Flat spots seem in the correct places. Wheels will get aligned once they are actually glued to the dolly:

20170916_215112-XL.jpg

[20170916_214939-XL.jpg

20170916_214920-XL.jpg

Then I removed the wheels, and glued in the stanchions that support the model on the dolly. Once I had those temporarily glued on, I taped the whole model/dolly combo on a flat piece of tile, so the glue could dry the stanchions at the correct angle to the Ohka's wings:

20170916_222324-XL.jpg

20170916_222351-XL.jpg

20170916_222446-XL.jpg

This is where the weight that I added in the nose earlier came in handy. The model self supported, even as cantilever as it appears when on the dolly, as the 1:1 Ohka has the extremely heavy warhead in front that counterbalances. 

Till next time!

Brian,
​  Excellent progress for sure. What I love most about your builds is both your thought process, and how  you explain it to us in words and pictures. Well done. As for the update, outstanding as usual. Centering any hole for me is a major challenge that a one eyed half blind old guy al ways struggles with. Yours came out perfect. 

The dolly looks great. Your method for gluing the stanchions correctly in place is fool proof.  :thumbsup:  BTW, I like the toothpick idea of securing those cups from spilling over. 

Joel

Brian,

​  Excellent progress for sure. What I love most about your builds is both your thought process, and how  you explain it to us in words and pictures. Well done. As for the update, outstanding as usual. Centering any hole for me is a major challenge that a one eyed half blind old guy al ways struggles with. Yours came out perfect. 

The dolly looks great. Your method for gluing the stanchions correctly in place is fool proof.  :thumbsup:  BTW, I like the toothpick idea of securing those cups from spilling over. 

Joel

Thanks Joel!    Its not the worlds toughest kit to build, nor is it the most detailed or complex, but so far it is a fun build.  I guess I should get the "not so complex" build out of the way, as I have pretty much the exact opposite (as in VERY large, VERY complex and VERY tough build) type of build coming up! 

Nice job on the dolly, Brian. Looks like you have this one in hand, and look forward to the following review!!!  :piliot:

Thanks Ray!  Say, not a bad ideEEER...............  I was hauling out the stash last night to look for a Hasegawa kit to review, but tossing this one in the mix might be a good idea too!

*EDIT* - Just looked and looks like Mike already did a review on it:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1545

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've actually been working on this little jewel, in between testing a DIY camera photography box I made, making a review for a not reviewed yet Hasegawa kit, and realizing that my lighting setup, is very inadequate. 

Progress pics in a sec.....

Got the windscreen glued on, all the rest of the remaining scribing done, and also got all the flying surfaces glued on, including the elevator control horn. First order of business was to paint the IJN interior color painted on the outside of the windscreen:

20170929_235455-XL.jpg

The ailerons needed a bit of trimming to align with the rest of the stubby wings, but a couple of swipes with the sanding stick took care of that. I also added the PE hinge parts to them:

20170929_235642-XL.jpg

The horizontal tail surfaces, elevators and both rudders, including the one I had to scratch 1/2 of again after loosing it, also got glued on:

20170929_235549-XL.jpg

20170929_235507-XL.jpg

20170929_235504-XL.jpg

Finally an overall coat of black Mr Surfacer 1500 was applied:

20170930_211009-XL.jpg

Finally, no its not some kind of new IJN camo, as I took a light gray pencil and highlighted all the dents, scratches and imperfections that needed to be addressed before the next light coat of primer.  LOTS to do yet! 

20170930_212400-XL.jpg

20170930_212450-XL.jpg

All in all, its proceeding as I need it too, as I would have to move it soon to the small side of the bench anyway, since its on the main section ATM, and Ill need that main larger section for my upcoming Tigercat build. Im hoping to have this one knocked out in the next few weeks so I can move on to the F7F on the main section of the bench, and even possibly put the little Extra 300 SC back on the smaller bench section since I now have a replacement canopy.

Cheers till ur older!