WNW Stahltaube

Bill_S

The PE fret on Brian's wheels says 32001x; I'm wondering if that goes with UMM's 32001 set, which is advertised as for the Dr.1 ...

Could be!  These are the set John indicated would work for the Stahltaube, sans the correct tires, that are the larger/wider gray tires. 

Guest Smitty44

While I am sure this will be another beautiful kit, and one day I will own one, you know it has got to be another great diversionary tactic by Mr Alexander. What other unknown kit  they will drop on us is what has me waiting with much anticipation. Something big? Dr.1? Ha, just thought I would be a PITA!!  :wicked:

Edited by Smitty44

I THINK if he has Gotha wheels listed, as far as size goes, they SHOULD fit other applications as well.

Ernie, other applications as in? 

still can't figure out which ones can possibly work for the albatroses  :doh:

While I am sure this will be another beautiful kit, and one day I will own one, you know it has got to be another great diversionary tactic by Mr Alexander. What other unknow kit  they will drop on us is what has me waiting with much anticipation. Something big? Dr.1? Ha, just thought I would be a PITA!!  :wicked:

A single seater italian floatplane like the Macchi M5/M7 would be superb... beautiful sleek lines, nice rigging, biplane, many schemes...The whole Nieuport series has been completely overlooked by wnw i guess for a reason, ie future releases?  

But the taube in itself is a super aircraft. ooooozes character

Karim, I'll measure my Gotha wheels when I get home tonight, but if I remember correctly, the Gotha wheels were dimensionally similar to most German two seaters.  They'll DEFINITELY be too big for single seaters.

I'll get some diameters tonight, but although I'm not a money gambler, I'd be almost willing to be that the DR.1 or D.Vll wheels should fit perfectly. Just use the light grey tyres.

OR,... go to your kits and compare wheels between kits. The Alb, I'm sure, used the same wheels as most Fokker and Pfalz products, and of they dimensionally match, you'll be good to go.

The only think I know for certain is that the single seaters used smaller standard wheels.

Karim, I'd even venture a guess that some of the Spad and Nieuport wheels would be the same as the Albatros, especially if you use your kit tyres.

The rubber O-rings provided look OK, but there is a warning included with the wheels that they may deteriorate with time.

On my Gotha, they look good, but the have an annoying tendency to roll off the rims when the model is shifted on the table. I didn't secure them with glue as I heeded the warning about eventual deterioration.

I think this IS the way to go, because to me, WNW's attempt at open spoke wheels, at least based on their Alb. B.ll kit,  leaves plenty of opportunity for improvement.

Ernie 

thanks for taking the time to give a expanded answer...

when i fly back tomorrow morning from Munich i will go to the stash and try to give it a compare. i reckon as you said the Gotha wheels will definitely be bigger and thicker than the Albatros wheels for sure, but i will have to compare the Fokker E3 and the Albatros wheels to see if i can use the Fokker spoked ones from scale spokes to replace the Albatros kit ones. 

Strange the rubber tires seem to be giving you guys a headache deterioration-wise. I'd understand they could roll off if not spot glued, but why would you the guys that produce them say they might deteriorate. is it anything like the 'horrible melting rubber wheels' story you hear about in older generation kits?

From the B.IIs i have in the stash, I often wondered if the PE spoked wheels provided by wnw would do the job and turn out nice and there i go, you gave me the answer, they leave plenty of opportunity for improvement, so no super high hopes then... scale spokes it will be then.

thanks bro for taking the time to help out!

Agreed, as is the entire S.P.A.D. range of aircraft.

The Sopwith One-and-a-Half Strutter has been ignored, as has the B.E.2, the later two seat Albatros C series two seaters.

But the Taube, along with the earlier Alb. B.ll, gives us two extremely important very early war German types. Especially the Taube, a highly produced French design.

Absolute bloody scandal. 

The Jenny is one that the American market would surely lap up? You'll have to wait for Peter Jackson to want one.

Agreed. Don't care much for it myself but I know many who would kill for one. I'm also waiting for that 504K and DH.4 to finish off the early kiwi air force set.

• 1 month later...

I noticed the status of this kit has changed a bit at the WNW website.

Instead of a "COMING SOON" status it is now "PRE-ORDER".

You click on the Pre-order link and it will allow you to buy one for $119 US.

It says "To be released late October to Mid-November 2017."

Don't get too excited.

I prefered it when WNW just dropped kits from absolutely nowhere. You knew something very cool was coming, but not what and when.

When WNW pre-publicise, they tend to mess up the release date somewhat.

I'd be shocked to the the Taube this year.

The WETA website had the kit available for pre order a month ago. I have had it on order for nearly a month now, I hope they ship this month.