ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Wow, Peter, this looks amazing! Always gorgeous work from you; meticulous and realistic.

Just now coming up for air after a very busy February attending to family matters. Sure am glad to see this underway and looking forward following along.

John

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciated John and I know how crazy your month has been - but the images - wow!

I'm knee deep into building the front office and The old Man as I am finding out, has some mighty nasty curve-balls coming the builders way. Unlike Papa tamiya, only major decisions need to be made and then all is well but ZM as I am  finding out now, build and display decisions need to be made at nearly every stage. I'm not to far off from my first front office post and will take some time to discuss the options being offered.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciated Wolf and no doubt in my mind, you'll be way ahead of me in that department. I can't wait to see what your Eduard Brassin Merlins - truly gens for sure.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 3/10/17: THE FRONT OFFICE – A GOOD START

With both Daimler Benz 603 V-12 (just sounds so good) done, it was time to move on to the next stage of the build: The Front Office. So far, I've completed about 85% of this portion of the build and I am still struggling with the instructions and the sequence itself. ZM tackled this area by combining the three fuselage walls as also the walls the nose gear wheel well. The both sides of the bulkheads for the nose gear well is detailed, with all the oxygen bottles and associated plumbing, with the outside wall of this area being the actual fuselage nose skin – just a lot of parts to deal with. What now seems as step one when starting each new assembly. is to decide which panels will remain open and that will dictate how much of the internal details need to be dealt with.

The Decision: I would leave the two nose panels closed, still needing to determine which details and parts would be visible on the outside of the nose gear bulkhead walls and to be sure to add them as I proceeded.

Paints and Colors: Yikes, I'm still dealing with all this, as Owl is my first German WWII aircraft and the cupboard was bare when it came to paints. I made a list of the colors I would be needing: interior and exterior and started to make sure I would have what I needed. I pretty much broke down the paint selection as follows:

Exterior: MRP Lacquer Paints

Interior: Model Air and Tamiya

Next up was combining the instructions and my references for what the correct colors were and of course, there seemed to be an array of opinions. I decided to be my conservative self and went with the colors looked right:

Fuselage interior RLM66

Nose gearwell: RLM02

At this stage, I dug into the first ZM PE Upgrade Set for the Cockpit, replacing the entire IP and almost all the panels on the starboard side. Oh what fun assembling the PE rudder pedals but they do look good.

For the seatbelts and shoulder harnesses, I used a set Mal (yes I have reached out to him a few times and will keep trying) sent me from a Japanese company;WAKO which are available from JHL: https://hlj.com/product/WKOFP-33HD

Pretty neat set and once I figured out the assembly sequence, the remaining belts went rather quickly, after spending over two hours on the first set. There is no PE with the set, as everything including the latches and buckles are laser cut.

New ground for me, as I started to do some light weathering in the front office on the sidewalls, floor and ejection seats.

Next up:

The remaining work is to actually make sure everything fits, add all the external oxygen and plumbing and hopefully all the parts will fit into the nose section that I'm just starting.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

_PCW3745_zpshhwek54r.jpg

_PCW3741_zps2fb3m0cl.jpg

_PCW3738_zps0n4mctml.jpg

_PCW3740_zpsl7xrrpv3.jpg

_PCW3742_zps0jf1pnrg.jpg

_PCW3746_zpsrw5nwvth.jpg

_PCW3743_zps4pbiwsyj.jpg

Very nice looking progress there Peter. As always, the paint looks fantastic.

I like using the Wako belts myself. I find they have much better instructions on the HD sets compared to most other companies and they arrange the buckles so you can thread the boys through first before removing them from the "fret".

Plus they're reasonably priced for a pair.

Carl