1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk VIII RAAF

cib2265

I signed up to do the 45 day Group Build challenge at the SMCG on Facebook (blame Matt) and have entered Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire VIII as my choice.

This will be my 3rd 1/32 bird (I'm still in the throes of a Wingnut Wings Albatros and just completed a Tamiya P-51) and to make it "easy" (Hah!) this will be an all metal finish with no decals - all painted on markings.

The RAAF operated a large aircraft depot during WW2 where it tested many aircraft types. This was one of them A58-303:

raaf%20viii%20spitfire_zpsijxyv8wx.png

Its been covered in Eduards impressive 1/48 RAAF offerings:

a58%20303%20raaf%20spitfire_zpsixrqfrki.

Here's the kit and my Montex markings (they opine a black spinner, I'll go with red as Eduard reckons)

SAM_4606_zpsxaqsywlk.jpg

And heres the cockpit and fuselage halves ready to prime:

IMG_0392_zpsmrz1yald.jpg

IMG_0393_zps9armtav6.jpg

IMG_0394_zpszkyc40ky.jpg

The pilot is out of the box, but I used a Hasegawa head and oxygen hose for a bit more of a pose:

IMG_0396_zpskv7bd69k.jpg

He's just sitting there, not glued, I will prime and paint separately. 

IMG_0397_zpsfkq9zlxy.jpg

The build so far has been flawless - I gave up dry fitting things and just glued blind because all the parts fit perfectly. I wish all kits were like this!

Prime this afternoon using green Stynlrez to replicate the interior green, got to get on with this - only 42 days to go!

Cheers

Chris

Can't wait to see more.

You might find the Tamiya Spitfires are highly addictive. I've done give so far and have three on the go at the moment.

Carl

I can see what you mean Carl!

I have all of them in the stash, plus another VIII that I'm going to modify into a Mk XII - my favourite mark - I was given a Grey Matters Conversion set so this VIII build is a "test run" more or less.

Planning a Beer Spit for my IX and a civilian/Reno Racer for my XVI...

But next off the run will be a Corsair, dying to do one in 1/32!

I signed up to do the 45 day Group Build challenge at the SMCG on Facebook (blame Matt) and have entered Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire VIII as my choice.

This will be my 3rd 1/32 bird (I'm still in the throes of a Wingnut Wings Albatros and just completed a Tamiya P-51) and to make it "easy" (Hah!) this will be an all metal finish with no decals - all painted on markings.

The RAAF operated a large aircraft depot during WW2 where it tested many aircraft types. This was one of them A58-303:

Its been covered in Eduards impressive 1/48 RAAF offerings:

Here's the kit and my Montex markings (they opine a black spinner, I'll go with red as Eduard reckons)

And heres the cockpit and fuselage halves ready to prime:

The pilot is out of the box, but I used a Hasegawa head and oxygen hose for a bit more of a pose:

He's just sitting there, not glued, I will prime and paint separately. 

The build so far has been flawless - I gave up dry fitting things and just glued blind because all the parts fit perfectly. I wish all kits were like this!

Prime this afternoon using green Stynlrez to replicate the interior green, got to get on with this - only 42 days to go!

Cheers

Chris

About an hour ago I was wondering why all I see are IXs and no VIIIs.

Obviously I'm not looking hard enough. :D

Er yeah, FOLLOW! ;)

Cheers mate, when I'm good enough my VIII's gonna be RAAF as well. :)

I'd never heard of Stynylrez before. Thanks for mentioning it.  :goodjob:

Edited by mpk

Gday Dale - yeah the Stynlrez is great stuff, I get it from The Combat Company. With a friend of mine we've been experimenting using it as a base coat for many things (particularly the red/orange and grey/white/black mixes for doing ships, but also armor and aircraft).

Luckily, the olive green is a near match for RAF interior green: 

IMG_0399_zpsrduocunu.jpg

This is just straight primer, then added some enamel washes without using any future/clear coats - the Stynlrez finishes nice and satin, so any washes flow nicely:

IMG_0400_zpsxdhfmn6s.jpg

Excuse the crappy photo - I just need to add some dirt pigment and chipping before I assemble:

IMG_0401_zpsoxxr73fr.jpg

IMG_0402_zpsrzzx1k3p.jpg

And the pilot is almost ready to go, primed in white Stynlrez, which I find ideal for painting figures - just needs a few pinholes filled at the arms. I love the sh%t eating grin on this Hasegawa head!

IMG_0405_zpsemcbyxug.jpg

I got the engine bay done the other night too, straight assembly only, as I'm building the cowls closed, will take more pictures later, will do the wings next.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Here's the pilot smiling and happy:

SAM_4635_zpsduc2supm.jpg

Thats a Hasegawa pilot head and mask from their 1/32 P-47 kit. I used the top half of the Tamiya photoetch seatbelts as the kit pilot has a molded on Sutton harness:

SAM_4636_zps9n3ghdgk.jpg

Engine built - this is the bare minimum you need for the cowlings to fit:

SAM_4637_zpsn4exazcm.jpg

Again, this is straight olive green Stnylrez with enamel washes, no other paints:

SAM_4639_zpsmz3j0gr2.jpg

And the airframe is together: 

SAM_4655_zps88s2vxd1.jpg

Pilot is happy - why? Because he's in a Spitfire!

SAM_4657_zpswdvtiarc.jpg

Final assembly with seams checked with Mr Surfacer 1500. I dont like the way the cowlings attach, I would build the entire engine next time (cylinder blocks at least)

SAM_4658_zpssuqlzrtm.jpg

Now, because this will be a natural metal finish, I wanted a test mule to try out various effects. 

So why not something cool? Revell's ancient 1/72 SR-71:

SAM_4644_zpsxvstevqh.jpg

Inflight of course, because, well, its a plane, not a car:

SAM_4645_zpsxh8kizxm.jpg

Threw the cockpit together, you're not going to see much anyway:

SAM_4648_zpskuibjvhd.jpg

As i said, inflight = better....but I might need a bigger base:

SAM_4649_zpsknaotlmf.jpg

Primed up ready to go into test mode. Fit on this ancient mold is....average. I didnt spend much time filling seams, just threw it together over a night or two. 

SAM_4659_zpssdrw6eb9.jpg

I might video the experiments and put on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/nickmakwell

Cheers, thanks for looking. Need to get a wriggle on, only 15 days left!

This build is in preparation really for my Mk XII conversion and of course doing natural metal finish...I'm heartened that apart from my poor assembly skills, it goes together well so should be a good base for that.