1:48 Tamiya Ki-61-Id Hien

PeterOlsen

Hi folks, Here's my WIP on the new Tamiya Ki-61-Id Hien. When this one arrived over the fence I couldn't help but make a start on it, I just love this aircraft !

For the base colour I use Gunze RLM 79 with a little Tamiya Xf-59 buff to make it a tad lighter. Weathering was done with an oil wash while splotches and fine detail painting were applied using Vallejo acrylics. I also made my own seat belts using some left over material from a HGW set and the buckles were made from fine coper wire

It's a pretty nice kit with lovely detail, superb fit and great engineering.......pretty much what we've all come to expect when it comes to the latest releases from Tamiya. I particularly like the selected rows of recessed rivets on the wings. They're quite delicately represented and very much to scale just like on their F-14a.

So far, my only criticism of the kit is the instrument panel which much like their older 1:48 scale releases are simple raised circular dials. Instrument decals are of course included with the kit but I had to remove each one separately with my punch and die set. I would have liked to seen some fine raised instrumentation detail instead or at least individual instrument decals that fit into the dials perfectly.

The kit is not overly complicated at all so it goes together quite quickly. I'm really enjoying it so far !

Ok, onto the pics ...........

First up,the wonderful boxtop artwork.

32484309920_dda0405c9f_b.jpgDSC_0305 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

Some of the cockpit parts.

32688048272_357ba845f0_b.jpgDSC_0299 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

The left cockpit side wall with throttle detail...

32718049561_80b003910d_b.jpgDSC_0298 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

And the right....

32800798296_165782778e_b.jpgDSC_0296 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

And the left again but upside down this time.........well, I am from down under :mental:

32460667740_183d96bd8d_b.jpgDSC_0294 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

And I'll leave you with one last shot of the cockpit parts, thanks for looking,

Happy modelling,

cheers,

Pete.

32460551780_72ec381452_b.jpgDSC_0303 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

Edited by PeterOlsen

This Tamiya's new kit looks just fantastic, level of detail in the cockpit really close to resin. Having made four Ki-61/Ki-100 kits within last year it seems to me, that I will not be able to resist.

The paintwork in the cockpit looks great, personally don't think it is too dark, as it corresponds well with the scale effect. 

Keep it up, watching with great interest.

Best regards

Hubert

Construction continues with the Ki-61....

Well, what can I say other than this kit really goes together beautifully, but you knew that already right.  ;)

Here's a picture of the main wing assembly and with this shot it gives you a nice look at the wonderful surface detail on the kit.

32901137646_424332b5d3_b.jpgDSC_0327 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

The cockpit fits quite well into the fuselage and you can install it after gluing the two main fuselage halves together. I still have to weather the rear canopy sill to match the rest of the cockpit.

32817374691_a6956cec82_b.jpgDSC_0355 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

Please be aware that at this stage I have not cleaned up any of the seams yet and I've simply placed the upper engine cowl on the forward fuselage just for the pics.

32788028112_2e26211a1b_b.jpgDSC_0339 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

32788045922_c81b023631_b.jpgDSC_0353 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

I really love the shape of the  Ki-61, it's so aesthetically pleasing.

32787996862_329aecbd72_b.jpgDSC_0361 by Peter Olsen, on Flickr

I've got a few more things to add to the building stage, then I'll clean up the seams and mask the canopies and I'll be ready for paint.

Thanks for following,

Cheers,

Pete.  B)

Edited by PeterOlsen

Peter,

Tamiya really has raised the bar with this release. the fit looks as pefect as modern technology will allow. You've done an excellent job on detail painting and weathering the interior. Looking forward to seeing your next update with some paint on the skin.

Joel