Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

Ok, a bit more of an update this time.  So looking at a bunch of pictures I did the fuselage in a different style:

DSC_0026_zps1ht7a2jq.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsyhqu7fyg.jpg

This method is actually a whole lot easier than what I did on the wings.  I used undiluted olive green and then used the narrow edge of the brush to drag a line down.  A wetter brush thinned out some of the lines.  One thing I've found is that even when perfectly dry (like over a week), any bit of water and it comes right off.  However, coating with a clear coat, if you don't touch it, works fine.

Worked on the prop a bit as well.  Vallejo wood, then after that was dry I took the burnt Umber water color, thinned a bit, and brushed it on.  Left it for a few seconds, then wiped it off with a dry paper towel.  

DSC_0027_zps5jttq2mc.jpg

I like the effect which may not come out very clearly in the picture.  I have a coat of clear over the decals now so hopefully tomorrow will give you a much better idea of how she is looking.

Thanks!  Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Made some decent progress today in getting the wings and engine on (dry fitting the prop).  Getting ready for the control wires tomorrow and then will have some touch up to do too.  Started weathering the top wing (this will be kind of a worn aircraft).  The fit is not fantastic and I should have been doing more fitting as I've been going along.  Some 'life setbacks' have diverted my attention but this is one of the ways I get through these things.  We all have our crosses to bear, don't we?  BUT!! On to the pics:

DSC_0006_zpschutnlsm.jpg

Put a few details on the bird too.  Most people will miss it, but I know its there.

DSC_0007_zpsq8vzxfie.jpg

(A lot of touch up to do here!!)

I got the tail on it, the engine (and everything aft of the engine is blank, at least back to the machine guns.  Didn't see any reason to fit it in there, just to have it all closed up

DSC_0009_zpsdek1acrv.jpg

Still getting the machine gun belts in place.

DSC_0010_zpsv07pazaa.jpg

DSC_0013_zps4kv8ia8e.jpg

So having fun getting the Fokker a little closer to completion.  Club meeting is in 10 days so am trying to get it all done before then.  

Chris

So worked on a lot of the weathering today.  My directions were to craft a worn warbird, not one of the 'pretty and bright' planes he had seen.  Also, the figure in the pictures he supplied, to sit on the open cockpit.  I like his expression.

DSC_0031J_zpssutqxs4c.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsvgbrgtay.jpg

Still have work to do, wiring the top struts and the top right wing aileron (which I knocked off accidentally) and hit the fuselage (and some wing fixes) with clear flat as it is still wearing its gloss coat for the two decals on the side.

DSC_0033_zpsbptvvbiv.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsf5mcsaiw.jpg

More to go!

Chris

Thanks Kev,  I have a mini photo booth I can use to even out the light and take better pictures.  I like to play around with depth of field too.  Got a new lens for Christmas which helps out immensely in that area.  But funny enough, the Jpeg pictures show the green as pretty muted and flat.  The .raw pics show a bit more of the green color - not quite so flat.  I will have to work on that.

Joe is amazing with figures - he really is, but does not do aircraft or armor or anything.  Just figures.

Joe is amazing with figures - he really is, but does not do aircraft or armor or anything.  Just figures.

I take it that this Joe person painted the figure, and not you? I realize you're not to that point yet, but some mud and dust will really make this baby pop. Mud seems to have been an all too common theme for WWI aircraft in general, as was castor oil leakage.

Kevin - Yeah, Joe Bles from our local club does figures and this is his, and he gave me the kit to build.  Good idea on the mud and more dust!  I'm kind of working my way top to bottom but do have a pretty good fuel spill at the filler cap.  Lots more to do!

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

WOW ... looking fantastic. The cammo and weathering blends together so very well. Nice way to do the prop - looking very effective for sure.

beautiful progrewss

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!  I keep trying out new techniques and seeing how they work.  I think each type of aircraft requires its own set of skills so I'm learning a bunch of new skills lately.  Wood props (and wood in general!) are just the tip of the iceberg.  One of these days I'll learn how to do rigging properly.  I'm kind of slap-dash as it sits now.  Chris