Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

FWIW, when I did a 1/48 Dr.I way back when, I painted the upper surfaces with Xtracolor RLM65 for the blue base (which is glossy/semiglossy), then drybrushed the streaks with an ModelMaster dark olive green paint (maybe the old DarkGreen RLM 82) and it worked great.  I'm sure you could use any base coat blue-green, and add a gloss or semi-gloss clearcoat and then dry brush your green over the top.

Richard, that looks amazing inside.  I may have shortcut the inside cockpit a bit given what you're showing there.  That is really really nice work.  Hmm. I may have to get one of these kits for myself and do another one.

Chris

The RAF interior as a base color for the streaking seems to blend very nicely so that was helpful.  I'm working on doing a thread over on the Tips area on how I did the water color streaking.  I think I took 12 or so pics of steps along the way.  More later!

For whatever it's worth, the top of the axle wing, was usually just green, not streaked, sorry.

Kevin, I did some checking and on some of the references that I can find, the axle wing is streaked too, and on others, now that I looked specifically at that, it is green.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to streak the axle wing, because you don't need to camouflage it since it sits under the aircraft.  This is water color so I imagine if I soak it i might be able to get it off, or simply over paint it. Hmmm..  I'm going to paint over it since that makes more sense to me and adds some visual interest as well.

UPDATE:  When I can I'll post the pic that I'm modeling after - I  just looked at it in detail.  It shows a bright blue-green undersides that also is on the bottom two wingtips.  The axle wing looks to be a solid color as well.

Thanks for catching!!

Edited by CANicoll

After nearly 2 hours of trying to get Photobucket to work I got some pics uploaded.  OMG.

So jumping ahead a bit. After doing the previous blending you saw, I was doing some other painting, and looking at the photo's, and thought that my stripes looked too distinct, too bold.  So (and this is a good reason to have a paint mule!) I tried a very light overspray of the base RAF interior green.  I liked the muting effect.  Let me know what you think:  

Here is my mule, left side over sprayed, right side before.

DSC_0026_zps4xa0k6j0.jpg

Here are the wings over sprayed.  I think I did the mid wing right side a bit heavy on the over spray.

Also sprayed the axle wing green since I don't think that wing was streaked.

DSC_0025_zpspucqta41.jpg

Also since this will be a weathered aircraft, here is the faded paint on the upper wing and flaps.

DSC_0027_zpsy4xnhcto.jpg

Slowly getting there.  Will see if I can get those pics from my streaking session last night up on the site. (Ok, that doesn't sound right does it??)

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Friends:

I was able to finally get the Tips thread up on how I did the streaking.  You will find it here.

I had to delete a bunch of photos' and I probably did not explain the technique very well, but hopefully the photos will help.  I have more photos of what DIDN'T work.  I need to figure out how to do a video.

Comments are of course welcomed!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Clunkmeister

This is a great little kit. I have a couple of the Encore boxings of this kit, and the resin turns a nice kit into a superb kit. It'll be tough for WnW to beat this little jewel.

Awesome progress so far, sir!

And the great thing about modeling WW1 stuff? As long as it isn't a popular subject like a Fokker or Sopwith, nobody really knows what colors they were,so you're never really wrong. :)

Coloration on British pigments and German mauve can be just as crazy as finding two people to agree on what RLM02 really looked like.

Oh, and Gunze RLM02 makes a pretty close match to the a German green-grey used on metal fittings on these kites.

This is a great little kit. I have a couple of the Encore boxings of this kit, and the resin turns a nice kit into a superb kit. It'll be tough for WnW to beat this little jewel.

I agree and disagree, Ernst. I'm in the process of reviewing the Roden F.I kit right now (should be finished tomorrow sometime), and while the kit is quite acceptable, I have no doubt whatsoever that a WNW example (with Cartograf decals), would be far superior.

I agree and disagree, Ernst. I'm in the process of reviewing the Roden F.I kit right now (should be finished tomorrow sometime), and while the kit is quite acceptable, I have no doubt whatsoever that a WNW example (with Cartograf decals), would be far superior.

I agree. There are some parts of the kit I can't find any photo evidence for. And it still builds up into a nice F1.

It's the usual thing - what do you want to do? No model is a 100% accurate representation of a particular prototype aeroplane, so there are compromises. After that, it's all about what you want to accept

There's another discussion about if the most dimensionally accurate model makes the best representation. I'm enjoying how well the painting going into unmodified kits is catching the spirit of the 'plane where a fully accurate compass (for instance) probably doesn't

Richard

Sorry for the long delay in updating.  Got the fuselage coats on after some pretty serious putty work on the fuselage top seam.  When the two sides were joined the seam was actually sunk below the surrounding surface, like a gully.  Took two attempts to get a smooth top to the fuselage.  Also have the dazzling turquoise undersides painted - a nice custom mix of five drops of vallejo light blue to one drop of green chromate.  It is dazzling I will say but this will be a weathered war plane so will have to see about toning it down more than a little.

I did a different streaking on the fuselage than I did on the wings.  Much more of the 'wash' than the 'blend' style.  I will get pics up this weekend if not before.

Working on the wing struts, for this kit the two outboard struts are one piece that you slip through the middle wing - predictably, it is not a smooth fit but I think I have both in place now.

Thanks!  Chris