Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

Here's a photo that better illustrates what's what. This particular photo is also handy, in that it depicts the typical horizontal tail and elevator overlap of the turquoise. On your particular scheme, this doesn't really matter, and in fact tail surfaces were routinely over-painted, but just thrown in for informational purposes.

MvR_zpsoqdbhuhw.jpg

To me, that pattern has always looked like someone putting on thin paint with a very big brush as quickly as possible. Imagine standing to the side of the tail and brushing quickly. You are as likely to get the streaks at an angle as straight up and down

Richard

Chris, nice start and it's a wonderful choice of prototype to be build.

Here my Roden's model, but F.1 type, any way the plastic is the same. To make "rain" camo I used oil paints, but prior I had covered all model with light blue paint

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45381&hl=

Also I want to say that upper wing and tail should  be painted this scheme firstly and covered with red paint in order to first layer of "rain" will be visible.

That's why I think you should repaint tail

It's an interesting point, Oleg. Some modelers do add the streaks first, then over-paint. The problem that I have with this approach, is that the clear dope applied over the streaked finish, dried to a fairly even and smooth sheen, so brush strokes, as such, are virtually nonexistent in the final finish.

The exception to this problem, would be when over-painting dark shades with white (or any other light color), where the lighter color is not applied in a uniformly dense coat, allowing the paint or dope colors below to show through. When large areas were over-painted with a dark color though, like the red on MvR's tripe, I believe virtually none of the streaking below, would show through.

It's a personal choice really, and one that I don't actually see as being necessary.

I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't stumbled upon this article, now I'm on Sprue Brothers, looking for AM items for my own F.I kit! Does it ever end?

The Eduard etch is good - only I think it based on a preserved aeroplane. Much of the cockpit stuff doesn't match WWI

Richard

Here is what I did last night.  I had an entire thread showing the steps and results and was trying to post to the Tips forum, but lost the message before it posted.  It was late but I'll try and get it posted this evening.  The one wing is still wet.

Chris

DSC_0024_zpsyhsvkw1x.jpg

The Eduard etch is good - only I think it based on a preserved aeroplane. Much of the cockpit stuff doesn't match WWI

Richard

I actually prefer the PART set, but have/had the Eduard set,... just in case.

The mid wing looks real nice, Chris. I am very seriously considering cranking up my F.I kit, so that I can do Voss' F.I 103/17. I have the Model Cellar Voss figure that's just awesome, but I'm not sure I can do it justice. I did my last one brown, but I'll do this one green, already have the green artist oil (along with a bottle of Liquin). Just what I need, to start yet another model.