Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

Yep, same angle, slanting from right, down and left. Since your ailerons will be red on top, streaking them is of course, irrelevant. One thing though, there was always a thin strip of the bottom turquoise, that lapped over and onto the fuselage sides.

That thin strip of turquoise would have got me.  Thanks for the heads up!  I was literally days away from making that mistake.  So is the bottom turquoise or light blue?  (or is there a difference?  LOL)

That thin strip of turquoise would have got me.  Thanks for the heads up!  I was literally days away from making that mistake.  So is the bottom turquoise or light blue?  (or is there a difference?  LOL)

It's generally referred to as turquoise, and I really see that as a light greenish blue. I'll see if I can dig up a good photo of the typical blue/turquoise overlap. Of course the aft area that's red, will have no such overlap, being over-painted as it was.

So here is my first shot at blending the camo pattern.  A few takeaways: 1.  I'm using water colors and they are drying too quickly.  2.  The water colors also blend too quickly as well I think.  3.The burnt umber is not blending on the aircraft to darken the green.  But the white blends pretty well.  A few others, but here are the pics...  But it all does wipe away quite nicely!

DSC_0029_zpsprnnzymb.jpg

DSC_0024_zps873qagus.jpg

So the Mustang above is my paint mule. Same base and gloss coat as on the Fokker.    Here I lay out the lines with the #2 thin brush:

DSC_0026_zps96adccat.jpg

And blended using the fan brush (maybe not the best choice):

DSC_0027_zps03pnpqvl.jpg

First try, so wiped that off and tried again:

DSC_0020_zpsjocfofjc.jpg

And third try:

DSC_0022_zps7eviaymy.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsgwismzno.jpg

Clearly a little Burnt Umber goes a LONG way!!

and another try:

DSC_0023_zpsxmg7f1qm.jpg

Which is looking a bit more promising, I do admit, but not there yet  But trending in the right direction, as they say...

Ok, so lesson's learned, part 2:  I think mixing the paint on the plane is a non-starter for water colors.  Better to mix three colors on the palette, apply, then blend on the plane as appropriate.  Will try that probably tomorrow.

Oils probably work a lot better than the water colors (but can't find the fast drying ones so have to mail order ugh).

A narrower brush to blend may help too.  The good news is that trial and error is very easy.  Water wash-up so wiping off and trying again is a piece of cake.

More tomorrow!

Chris

Here's a pretty decent shot of the overlap (404/17). It's about 1" wide, would be my best guess. Scan from this Albatros Productions book. I'll look and see what blue I used on mine and get back to you.

Overlap_zps75xuzynq.jpg

Actually looking at these pics, the wing streaks are parallel to the fuselage, but on mine I'll be streaking at an angle.

CN

SOk, so lesson's learned, part 2:  I think mixing the paint on the plane is a non-starter for water colors.  Better to mix three colors on the palette, apply, then blend on the plane as appropriate.  Will try that probably tomorrow.

Chris

Why three different colors?

Actually looking at these pics, the wing streaks are parallel to the fuselage, but on mine I'll be streaking at an angle.

CN

Yes, fuselage sides had the streaking running perpendicular to the aircraft centerline, always. It goes roughly like this; all three wings, streaking at 15°-30°, ailerons, fuselage spine and horizontal tail surfaces at roughly 45°, fuselage sides perpendicular to aircraft centerline.

Here's a photo that better illustrates what's what. This particular photo is also handy, in that it depicts the typical horizontal tail and elevator overlap of the turquoise. On your particular scheme, this doesn't really matter, and in fact tail surfaces were routinely over-painted, but just thrown in for informational purposes.

MvR_zpsoqdbhuhw.jpg

I was thinking dark olive, olive and light olive....  Maybe just olive and dark will do it over a light base?

More or less standard procedure, is to use one color, and paint until the brush is almost dry, then repeat, just like they painted (doped) the real aircraft.