What's wrong with the Trumpeter Lightning?

mozart

I'm thinking of making only my second ever foray into building a jet, an E E Lightning since 56 squadron flew them. I've done a bit of searching on the Forum, noted a couple of current WIPs etc and also been through the kit database. I'm watching one for sale on eBay right now for £72.00, the same seller has the Aires cockpit and wheelwells for £18.00 each.

I'm aware of rumblings of discontent about the Trumpeter kit so can anybody tell me exactly what's wrong with it please.....I'd hate to spend my meagre funds on something that's "unbuildable"!!!!

Max

Hi Max

mmmm off the top off my head,....cockpit and canopy too fat, belly tank(on both) way off, F6 looks like its pregnant, undercarriage to tall, Iain (32SIG) has started a correction for it, have a search and you'll see what i mean. Its what put me off buying one (i'm a big lightning fan) until he finishes his correction sets.

Darren

Mozart I've build quite a few trumpeter lightnings since it was released and yes it is bad in places and over priced. BUT it does build into a lovely model if you are willing to spend a bit of time on it.

Aries have brought out a lovely cockpit and wheel Wells that add detail too it but forget the reheat cans they just don't fit. I say go for it it will bring out the modeller in you.

Happy modelling

Dave

The F.3 is slightly better than the F.6 due to the fact that the wing has no kink in it.  I Have been thinking about this since you posted. When i last built one i was in the habit of correcting everything on models to make them more accurate. Nowadays i just build them. I have given up on trying to make model look "real". I must admit i have more fun just building them from the box. Other trhan the gap in the intake trunking the rest of the kit fits quite well if you do it straight from the box.

Edited by gunpowder

Eveything!  Seriously though from what i remember. Fuselage too short , wings in the wrong position , no kink in the leading edge , cockpit too wide , rear fuselage too pinched , undercarriage too long. There may be other things too.

for starters.........

If its any help at all at least the kit resembles a lightning when its built. I built the F3 a couple of years ago. The corrections I made were the 5mm fuselage plug and shortening the main undercarriage legs. 

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC_1463.jpg

I also drilled out any vents where appropriate. 

These few mods IMHO vastly improve the stance and overall look of the model. If you really want to push the boat out, grab a set of Dave Parkins Flightpath detailing for the lightning, again just adds that little extra. 

Edited by Phartycr0c