Canopy seals...

zak

Hi folks. Im racking my brain on how to create the canopy seals on my current AH-1W build. Im specifically talking about the black/grey rubber seals on the interior of the canopy (see photo)

frouch_ah-1w_20.jpg

I'd rather not paint them on as I'm after a more 3d effect so any ideas/suggestions on what material to use would be helpful

Zak

No idea, but if you pull it off, it would really pop.....Harv :popcorn:

Yea i think it would Harv. Im thinking maybe milliput black rolled and carefully attached on? May also mean I won't need to glue it on to the canopy as it's sticky whilst it's curing....🤔

For the record, and just for something of an edjumacation point, the "seal" is not a seal.  It is explosive cord for emergency egress.  You might try thin black vinyl tape, then seal it in with Future and add a layer of dark gray paint to finish the effect.  Tricky to mask but doable.

Timmy!

There is a silicone rubber material called 'SUGRU' which comes in tear open pouches. You knead it to shape and it sets over the following day or so. comes in a variety of colours. Have used it for various bike repairs etc, but rolled out into thin worms, might do the trick? Sticks like the proverbial, by the way.....

Usual disclaimers, no commercial links.

www.sugru.com

Edited by wunwinglow

The electrical tape is elastic and when its adhesive layer makes contact with glass surface - it provides some kind of a "wet" effect, but there may also appear bubbles or wrinkles or tiny areas that can`t adhere to the glass, and they will look not good. Or, the elastic effect of the tape could make it peel off or fall off from the glass surface after a few days. 

I would prefer long thin pieces of painted paper tape. It`s easier to follow the curves of the frame and you can paint it with the exact color.

If it were me, I would probably try a combination of very small diameter brass wire and thin strips, bent to shape, and soldered, then paint and attach with white glue. The advantage is that the brass can be worked and shaped for an exact fit separately then attached.

-Joe

For the record, and just for something of an edjumacation point, the "seal" is not a seal. It is explosive cord for emergency egress. You might try thin black vinyl tape, then seal it in with Future and add a layer of dark gray paint to finish the effect. Tricky to mask but doable.

Timmy!

Thanks for the edjumacating Timmy! Yes I'm considering vinyl tape, good call