Arrrgh! Stupid Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-21MF decals

AndrewDoppel

Hi all,

Finished this last night for a mate who likes his models BIG!  This is the Trumpy MiG-21MF and although I enjoyed the build as it's not something I would generally do, it turned out okay.  The only issues I had with it were the underside fillet (top is not curved to follow contour of fuselage), the oversized rubber wheels (slightly bigger than the rim), and then these stupid kit decals which have silvered since hitting the model with Dullcote.  Anyway, my mate is happy with it.  I hope you like it regardless.

20161117_162534_zpsdwf7zidr.jpg

20161117_162335_zpskbuai1xr.jpg

20161117_162448_zpsh9o700ri.jpg

20161117_162512_zpszfidnmtq.jpg

20161117_162439_zps01cbfudc.jpg

there is a bit of silvering going on with the decals. was there a clear gloss coat applied to the model before the decals went on? and after applying the decals, another clear gloss coat is needed before the final flat / matt coat goes on? the decals would also need to set for about 24 hours before the final matt coat goes on. the trumpeter decals are really thin and sometimes tend to tear up with decal softeners too. did you use any decal softeners?

By and large it looks pretty good. Too bad about the decal issues though.

Pretty much my exact comments, too. I've had this happen before - decals look perfect when applied over a gloss coat, but then silvering appears once the flat coat goes on. Still a mystery to me.

Kev

Had the same issues when I built mine a few years back.

Fortunatly I had painted mine in Polish markings but I

used some of the stencils.

All SILVERED on a gloss coat and  gloss overcoat

as soon as I sprayed the Dullcote

I was able to pull them off and brush on some clear.

Throw these away DO NOT USE

I like the kit, looking very nice , and as said already by others, the decals turned out less, but i'm sure in future you'll use the method explained, by using clear before and after and then finishing mat.!

Edited by Jack

Nice build Andrew!  :thumbsup:

Silvering can still be removed even at this stage. Carefully score across the surface of the decal multiple times with a fresh scalpel blade - enough to cut through the decal varnish layer - but not the underlying paint (actually easier than it sounds!) and then flood the surface with a watered down acrylic clear varnish (Future and Quickshine will work - as will thinned Tamiya Clear). If suitably thinned the varnish will wick underneath the decal and the silvering disappear. Another coat of matt varnish afterwards to blend everything in again (I sometimes give the decal a quick burnish with Micromesh beforehand).

Have done this on numerous occasions and it's always worked!

Iain

Hi, Andrew

Really nice Fencer, but those decals spoiled the finish indeed.

Don't know if it is still a good time, but maybe application of Decal Softener 3 from Bilmodel could help. It is available in Poland, don't have any idea about its availability in Australia, but it can be a remedy for silvering decals not before, but after the problem occurs. Sprayed onto the decals it just dissolves the film, leaving only the print. 

Best regards

Hubert

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.  I did clear coat the model before applying the decals and then again afterwards to seal them before applying the wash and then Dullcote.  The decals weren't evident after the clear but as soon as I put the Dullcote on they reappeared.  I will try scoring the decals later and running some Future under them to see if they settle better. 

Andrew the reason the bottom fin did not fit the fuselage contour is that is seems to be in the wrong direction. You can see the correct position on the picture link below. The decals from Trumpeter are really bad. They better be replaced by aftermarket ones in this model. 

http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/fmig21_p_10_l.jpg 

This mess could be solved during the application, by a little brushing of Future underneath the decal. And even after the varnish dried, if you lift the decal border with a knife and apply future with a brush, gently, will disappear the silvering. After dried, just retouch the flat varnish.

Try it. You will be surprised with the results.

This kind of trouble is caused because the varnish is not totally gloss, and the decals are not "glued" to the surface. I use Poliester automotive varnish, diluted in authomotive PU thinner. This varnish dries in 3 minutes, and after an hour, could be sanded smoothly with 2500 grit sandpaper, then polished with any kind of polisher, to remains totally gloss. Then you must use Mr. Mark Setter to adhere the decal to the paint. If you need Decal softer, use it.Then another coat of gloss varnish, and the final semi gloss or flat varnish. For the final varnish I use the same varnish with drops of flat paste. The more flat needed the more paste to mix. and I never have silvering.

Cheers, Paulo.

• 2 weeks later...