1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

oh my word that looks stunning!  I....must....resist....doing a 1/24 Mustang!  But you are making this difficult for me, LOL

Keep up the amazing work, almost there

Thanks Anthony! Yes, getting there!

And I think I'll just leave these here...

J0gWqzzh.jpg

X3sZjt6h.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Beautiful looking Mustang! This one is quite an eye catcher and I hope I can see it in person someday!

Can I say that every aircraft looks great in Canadian markings?

Alain

Thank you Alain! I'm hoping to finish it before the HeritageCon in Hamilton at the end of March, and might bring it to a couple shows after that. Would be nice to meet you!

Richard

PS: And yes, Canadian markings look great on anything!

2 hours ago, Old Dog Flying said:

Richard:  That is one lovely Mustang!!!!  I just wish that I could finish my Big Mustang in Dennis Bradley's markings  BA*U.

Thanks Barney!  BA-U was my favourite restored Mustang. Love the 424 Squadron scheme.

Richard

• 2 months later...

Wow!! Amazing build, I have been on and off with my Mustang for about 3 years now and am in the throes of H K’s 1/32 Lancaster!! In an earlier thread Richard you said you’d be willing to share your templates of the wheel bay etc? I persisted with thin card & rod (very fiddly) but my rendition isn’t a patch on yours & will probably re-do it soon. If possible I would really appreciate if you could forward a copy of your template? Much appreciated and I will keep an eye out for any of your future builds. Regards 

Michael

Thanks Michael! I've been at it for over three years as well, but it's so close to the end. I've run into a couple of frustrating little puzzles that have paused the build temporarily. I'll sort them out this week.

As for the wheel bay,  a better solution if you prefer, would be the 3D printed parts from Model Monkey. They are spectacular, and are designed to fit the Airfix Mustang. The detail is far better than I could ever have done, and will save so much time and cussing. You may have to wait a bit for them, but they would be worth it. 

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-24-p-51d-p-51k-and-mustang-mk-iv-wheel-well-inserts-for-airfix-kits

In the meantime, here is the rough drawing I did. They are just hand-drawn and I've put a scale on them so you can confirm the dimensions if you print them out.  I can send it to you in an attachment to your email. You can send me a message here at LSP. 

h1tmbC9h.jpg

All of that stuff above in place:

7E70Imwh.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 7 months later...

Well, exiled to Page 21 of Works in Progress. Guess it's time to resurrect this one now that colder weather is here and get started again.

There isn't really a lot left to do, although some of what's ahead is a bit delicate, and some tedious. The big barrier has been the sliding portion of the canopy which has fought me. I have assembled a huge arsenal of different glues and adhesives to try to see if I can tame it. More later.

In the meantime I took better photos of where I'm at right now. Hope it won't be too repetitive, but these have less cluttered backgrounds. 
Thanks

Richard

o0PwsUxh.jpg

uuOyC01h.jpg

6FdOUR3h.jpg