Tamiya vs. Hasegawa's new Zero?

BiggTim

Ok, so now that Hase has put out the new tool A6M5, I'd like to know all your thoughts on how it really compares to the Tam kit. At some point in the future, I want to get one of them, but not both, so I want to know if the Tamiya kit is really that much better than the Hase kit. In other words, do you guys think the difference in price is really worth it, once you take into account the need (or not) for AM stuff to get them to the same detail level. 

I have not seen either kit yet in person, but my assumption generally leans toward the Tam kit being the better, especially if the Hase kit needs a lot of AM to get it up to par. I like to build largely OOB, with some scratching.

So, eagerly awaiting your thoughts!!

Tim

The Tamiya Kit is an A6m5 and the Hasegawa kit is an A6m5c, two similar but different versions of the Zero. This question is like asking the difference between B-17F and a B-17G kit. But as Jennings said in the post above, the Tamiya kit is a full detail kit with working landing gear and a stand while the Hasegawa kit is more like a standard 1/32 kit.

Edited by hworth18

If you want the canopy closed and posed in flight (as its supposed to be!) and focus on external weathering, Hasegawa wins hands down.

If you want to superdetail the engine, cockpit and have a static display, Tamiya wins. 

I have both Tamiyas and will get the Hasegawa as well because I prefer to pose them in flight, not superdetail internals (even though I picked up the A6M2 with a full Big Ed set...hey it was cheap!)

If you want the canopy closed and posed in flight (as its supposed to be!) and focus on external weathering, Hasegawa wins hands down.

If you want to superdetail the engine, cockpit and have a static display, Tamiya wins. 

I have both Tamiyas and will get the Hasegawa as well because I prefer to pose them in flight, not superdetail internals (even though I picked up the A6M2 with a full Big Ed set...hey it was cheap!)

Excellent thought, I like a good in flight display, too!!

To me the Hasegawa kit has more interesting decals in the box than Tamiya, My quick look at the two cockpits makes me think they are very similar and with some AM for the instrument panel and am seatbelt the Hasegawa kit would be as good as Tamiya.

The exterior looks a little more subdue in style as I don't see the rivet detail that Tamiya has.  

The gear bays are probably more detailed out of the box than Tamiya as they are not functional.

Different approaches to similar planes but both are interesting to me.

I have both and have previously built the A6M2. It builds like a Tamiya should.

The working landing gear on the Tamiya is silly, fiddly, and absolutely unnecessary, IMHO. Those kind of goofy gimmicks irritate me hugely.

Me too. That's one of the things I wanted opinions on, since I've never seen it up close.

If the two were priced very closely, I would choose the Tamiya - unless I absolutely HAD to have an A6M5c. Yes, the Tamiya landing gear is fiddly, but how many times will it really be retracted/extended once the kit is complete?

If the two were priced very closely, I would choose the Tamiya - unless I absolutely HAD to have an A6M5c. Yes, the Tamiya landing gear is fiddly, but how many times will it really be retracted/extended once the kit is complete?

Frankly, I doubt that I would even utilize the folding gear anyway - I'd either build it down or up and it would stay that way. In that regard, the Hase kit is sounding a little bit more attractive, but the surface detail on the Tam kit is apparently better. And no, the C suffix is of no consequence to me.

At the moment, I have seen the Tam kit low enough that they are separated by only 25 USD or so. That's what's really making it tough to choose. But as funds are tight, the Hase is looking better and better.

Edited by BiggTim

Yes, the Tamiya landing gear is fiddly, but how many times will it really be retracted/extended once the kit is complete?

I broke the little locking lugs long before the model was complete, just by opening and closing the landing gear for masking and painting purposes.

Kev

Don't get me wrong - I love Hasegawa's new tool kits, especially their Japanese fighters.

If Tamiya included parts to pose it gear down permanently, so you could ditch the operable "fiddly" stuff if you wanted to, then that might seal it in their favor, and make me spend the extra 20 bucks. And yes, I just confirmed that HLJ is about 49 USD shipped for the Hase kit, and I can get the Tamiya kit for 69 shipped. Though I expect the Hase kit will come down or go on sale once it's been out a while, and the Tamiya kit will likely not get any lower.

I have both and have previously built the A6M2. It builds like a Tamiya should.

The working landing gear on the Tamiya is silly, fiddly, and absolutely unnecessary, IMHO. Those kind of goofy gimmicks irritate me hugely.

It's precisely that reason that persuaded me to buy the MDC Suisen conversion for my Tamiya Type 21.

However, I will probably use the rubber tyres and wheels from the Type 21 on the Hasegawa Type 52 - yeah, I know (amidst mocking condemnation and scorn), I'm the only guy on the whole of planet Earth who actually prefers round vinyl rubber to plastic or resin "flat" tyres, but I would still have bought the Hasegawa regardless.

Tony

I've been watching both these kits closely online, and I am amazed that many people have the Hase kit priced so high that it's actually MORE than the Tamiya kit with shipping. That is ridiculous! I think I'll be waiting a while until it settles down some.