1/72 B-52

Nic C.D.

It was about a year ago when I finished one of the longest projects I ever did: a 1/72 scale F-100D. That's because I was always switching between projects and because the road I picked for this little Esci Super Sabre was rather special. In a book, I found a photo of an F-100 at AMARC and that's what I wanted to build. This was the result:

540.jpg

I was pretty happy with that I learned a lot of weathering techniques during this build. After this, an idea started to build and going through my stash, I decided to do another AMARC resident in 1/72, only this time a little bigger. And although I usually build in 1/32, this will be one of the biggest kits I've ever attempted: a B-52. The idea is to build it like this:

720.jpg

One of these, probably a grey one...

720.jpg

It'll be all these details that will make this a lot of fun (I hope):

720.jpg

And the effects on the fuselage, which I intend to rivet completely:

720.jpg

Sounds like fun? I'd like to take you along in a (probably long) wip here. I have a half started B-52, and will post some photos of it soon.

Hope you like the idea!

Nic

Despite advanced age, statiscally I have enough time left to book my front row seat. I have a true softspot for the B-52 and

concluding from your spectacular F-100 build :wub: , I do look forward to this one.

Lothar

Oh, very cool ! The Hun is fantastic especially for brail scale. Looking forward to the Buff ! My #1 fave. Worked on them for 4 yrs as a weapons tec........Harv :popcorn:  :popcorn:  

Nic, i saw your AMARC F100 last year "in the flesh so to speak", and i must say, i couldn't have pulled this one off, especially on such a small scale, but this project is going to be superb, i'm confident you'll turn this into a masterpiece, but be prepared for some very elaborate detailing on the "buff" ..... :hmmm:

AMARC looks to be such a fascinating place, one day I'd really like to go there and make a trazillion photographs, talk to all the people and make a book on it. The B-52 for me is probably one of the most iconic aircraft there. 

This kind of build is just fun for me: lot's of detail to add, scratch some things, trying out new techniques, cutting things up.

Wow, Harvey, that is cool! If you'd live closer, I'd build it for you!

Here are some first photos of the progress:

720.jpg

I cut up the nose and tried the rippled skin effect with riveting on one panel. What do you think?

720.jpg

720.jpg

It sure is a big kit though... Going to need a lot of paint for this...

720.jpg

Hope to be back soon!

Nic

Nice!   I too had this kit, but when I was a wee lad. IIRC I painted it with a black bottom and desert colors on top.   Go figure for accuracy for a 9 year old!  :lol:

Looking forward to this one, as even now I remember how small I was and how HUGE the kit looked.