Fly Models' Hawker Hurricane IIc

mattlow

... and we know Radu likes Hurricanes, Anthony. 

I'd love to see Radu, Eduard, Barracuda Studios and Aires (gun bays for those who like and maybe alternative wheel sets) get onboard with this series of kits in the interests of helping create a fine series of Hurricanes in a selection of media with a wide appeal..

Well, I'm hoping Artillery, Hauler (who do the resin and etch respectively in the kit) and Fly work together on some extras. There's already a vac canopy and set of alternate (later?) 20mm cannon available. Depending on what versions are released, we could see fixed & drop tanks, rockets, bombs/pylons. I hope we see a long line of Hurricanes and extras from Fly...

Matt

Matt, I was studying gear bay photos over the weekend, and have been pondering the comp. air cylinder.

Despite some good photos as far as they go, not one of my sources show the thing from both directions - that is, one WA will show the right side but not the left, and another WA vice versa. But none show the thing from both sides on the same airframe.

Photo 1 shows the port side of the tank.

Hurricane%20wheel%20well%20amp%20air%20t

It appears that the port side may be fitted with a valve from which some generously looped pipework is clipped to the forward wall terminating at the MLG retraction jack. This presumably being the emergency gear lowering system if the hydraulics fail. 

Photo 2 shows the same side from a different angle.

The paint scheme of photo 1 - 3 would indicate a Mk I, but whether it's actually a Mk I is unclear without an ariframe ID offered. Note the black/white underside camo is reversed on the airframe in photo 3 as compared to photos 1 and 2. It appears that the stbd. side imitates the port in connecting to the retraction jack.

Photo 4 however shows a different arrangement.

The starboard side has a 'T' shaped valve with the pipes disappearing into the engine bay, presumably to the compressor which keeps the tank charged, but no visible connection to the retraction gear.

Assuming the black/white paint scheme example is really an actual Mk I, I believe photo 4 may be a Mk XII example which is the equivalent of a Mk II, at least theoretically.

Here's hoping you have better/less ambiguous luck with figuring what's required than I have, so far.

Edited by Chek

Hi Chek

Funny, I've just read the pilot notes for the Hurri Mk I and there's no mention of compressed air being used for emergency u/c deployment! The pneumatic schematic shows no connection to the u/c. I think this may be an 'urban myth'...

The brakes are pneumatic, guns etc. I'll post relevant diagram later.

Instruction for emergency gear extension is to use the hydraulic hand pump...

I note the last image you've posted shows the additional more streamlined supercharger intake Fly supply.... anothe Canadian mod..?

Matt

Duh - that'll teach me to assume that just because Spitfires use an emergency gear CO2 system, the presence of a comp. air tank in a Hurricane's u/c bay

is for the same reason.Which is why I won't be racing ahead of your build and making similar incorrect conclusions.

It's a pity that the rebuild of AM274 that you linked to previously only got as far as when it was sold. Fitting out to completion would have been very informative with such clear photography.

I note the last image you've posted shows the additional more streamlined supercharger intake Fly supply.... anothe Canadian mod..?

Matt

It's hard to tell with modern warbirds that cannibalise and swap parts between their operators, but the BBMF's PZ865 was fitted with a similar 'long' faired intake a few years ago when in the SEAC scheme. It might still be there, but it's hard to tell now she's in night fighter mode with black undersides.

Right, in the absence of a pillar drill, I'm off to see how steady a hand I can muster to drill those slots in those bay tear drop fairings for the indicator contacts. 

Edited by Chek

Progress being made, photos later...

Couple of things people may find useful:

Diagrams of Hurri Mk I hydraulic and pneumatic systems (which I believe are same as Mk II)

25709489884_bebbe7c96e_c.jpg

26248112991_595c8fa50e_c.jpg

Nice shot of a restored control linkages from pit.

25711605273_79cca40513_c.jpg

Same from manual

26041489070_f8aff90363_b.jpg

and finally for Chek, a Hurri Mk IIc with only a single ID light behind the radiator... :).

A little Googling indicates that these were indeed a form of IFF (pre-electronic). The lights could be set to steady or keyed which could display codes (apparently). What little I found pointed to this being a US feature, so maybe the Hurris and Mossies we see are Canadian built (they may have had the same ID system as their neighbours?).

25709484314_90c7af1443_b.jpg

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Hi Matt,

The front of the radiator will have a round hole in it for the oil cooler

IMG_0661_zpsdjlywpi7.jpg[/url]

IMG_0662_zpscfouypex.jpg[/url]

IMG_0665_zps9w4j0d8n.jpg[/url]

IMG_0664_zpsqcnzeesn.jpg[/url]

IMG_4886.jpg[/url]

IMG_4897.jpg[/url]

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Ripaman

Hi Matt,

The front of the radiator will have a round hole in it for the oil cooler

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richard

Indeed, you could say the Mk II has the 'bigmouth' intake and deeper radiator cowling with the central circular oil cooler matrix, and

the Mk I a smaller intake and shallower cowling with the oil cooler incorporated into the matrix block.

Hurricane%20radiator%20comparison_zpsknk

Edited by Chek

and finally for Chek, a Hurri Mk IIc with only a single ID light behind the radiator... :).

A little Googling indicates that these were indeed a form of IFF (pre-electronic). The lights could be set to steady or keyed which could display codes (apparently). What little I found pointed to this being a US feature, so maybe the Hurris and Mossies we see are Canadian built (they may have had the same ID system as their neighbours?).

25709484314_90c7af1443_b.jpg

Matt

Thanks for that Matt.

Unfortunately, it's still an open question, as can be seen in the photo of PZ865, the BBMF's 'last of the many' and the final UK Hurricane built.

As far as I know, this machine has never been rebuilt, with the only alterations being made were the removal of cannon and auxiliary wing tanks

being fitted during her air racing career.

So.... I'm wondering if original Mk IIs at first had the single light as in your photo, with the triple array

fitted later to integrate with the large number of USAAF aircraft flying about in UK skies after 1942?

Total speculation though.

.... and thank you everybody for the comments and contributions. I feel I know 200% more about Hurries than I did a month ago, with hopefully much more to come.

hawker-hurricane-mk2c-pz865-rhyl-airshow

Edited by Chek

Really intrigued by this kit and following your build with interest, first off very impressed with Fly's rendision of the wing rivet detail........

So after butchering the u/c bay I moved to the wings to open the cartridge and link ejector chutes. Fly give you a well enough defined location, it just lacks any depth. It may be possible that these were sealed with tape or something (especially in desert operations) but I wanted them opened up.

Before

25917592570_9863e50540_c.jpg

After

26190443425_0e0839e7b5_c.jpg

25585694354_64f5f6dd31_c.jpg

Needs some structure in there, but that was the hard bit done.. Fly's plastic is also pleasant to work with.

Will save an awful lot of time on the build if you are planning on adding the very prominent raised detail.........

20160312_171321_zpsnhinoxgq.jpg

The solid plastic intake looks a little poor as you have shown on the Fly kit, surprised they have not gone for a resin piece as PCM did........

20160409_205259_002_zpspsfgror4.jpg

Great build and looking forward to more of your build........

Regards. Andy

I was just looking at your build Andy, and was very impressed.

It'll be interesting to see how the riveting on yours actually looks compared to the Fly riveting after final paint coats are on both.

Although I have to say that I'm more comfortable with the Fly rendition. Even if ever so slightly overscale, it saves hours of work with strips of Archer's.

One thing I really miss are the punched paper discs I used to collect from the waste tray of old Telex machines. Nobody has Telexes any more, apart from maybe small oil companies dealing with third world countries whose infrastructure is too poor to support internet traffic. The thinness of the discs made it possible to drill a small depression with a spherical dental burr, superglue in a disc mounnted on a pin, then when hardened press its centre with a blunted hypo needle to form Dzus fasteners even down to 1/48 scale. I guess I should invest in a sub miniature punch and die set, but its a lot to spend on something you've been used to getting for free.,

Edited by Chek

Hi everyone.

I am totally broadband-less at home since Sunday and only able to grab a quick bit of time from work today (I work at home most of time).

I am making progress and will have some photos when I'm back on line.

Main area of work has been re-designing the way the whole radiator assembly works and hopefully making a master from Fly's parts to cast in resin for the other Hurris I will undoubtedly purchase.

Just received a copy of the RAF museum publication 'The Hurricane II Manual' got it second hand (excellent condition) for around £6 inc p&p (have a look on eBay). This looks like a killer resource for anyone wanting to add a little more to their Hurricane...

Anyway, time to go home. Hopefully back online in a couple of days..

Matt