Anybody else actually working on the new T-28??

NFiler

I started it a couple days ago. Cockpit tub pretty well finished and the Engine accessory area in work. So far I have found a couple instructions glitches, but other than than everything fits very well. The decals for the cockpit side consoles are a joke. There is no way in the world you can get them to lay down and look decent. Fortunately the details are good enough that they can be hand painted and look pretty decent.

I like what I have seen so far.

I don't build warbirds so am a bit puzzled by the decal choices. I suppose if you left the small N number off the White and Red bird you would have a somewhat authentic look Trojan. And oh yeah, the Red should be Orange, but otherwise the selection is rather lame. And the totally goofy choice of decals for the Air Force A model leads me to wonder how, with as much research as this thing must have required did they not know the difference between an A and B/D?

Studying the Trojan, I can't understand why they went for a 2-piece canopy, you have to open the rear in order to open the front, even if the pilot is flying solo. Yes, I know it makes it easier for the student in back, but it still seems to be a bit of a dumb design. Does anyone have a pic of the mechanism the plot uses to close the rear canopy? :hmmm:

Been fifty some odd years, but as i remember, the canopy system was electrical. A great big handle just aft of the throttle quadrant on the left sidewall opened and closed it. The reason for the two part canopy is really pretty simple. If it had been a big, huge one piece canopy there would not have been enough room to move it aft far enough to let the instructor in the back get in and out. The canopy would have hit the tail.

Remember, the Navy flew Carrier Quals. with the T-28 and that was flown with the canopy open to improve the chances of getting out if they went into the water.I suspect every student, and probably everyone who has ever flown the thing had to try flying with that monster greenhouse open at one time or another. But to be honest it was noisy, very gusty and often stinky from exhaust gases.

Back to the model. One thing I have noticed is that the left and right sidewalls are identical on the model. That is not really correct. Part of that results in the canopy opening slots on both sides, front and back. And there is nothing there but the slot, no actual handle. It should only be on the left side.

And to be really picky, The instrument panels are more C model than a B or D. The protruding "handle" sticking out of the right side of instrument panel is the tail hook handle.

I also am not quite sure why the goofy cushions and strange harness setup. A seat cushion was pretty much standard. But a back type parachute was personal equipment and not left in the airplane normally. That means the tabs need to be cut off the back of the seats and a more normal shoulder harness and lap belt rather than the intricate thing the kit provides.

All of this is just minor stuff. Overall I am really very happy so far. Fit of everything has been very good. Only a little flash here and there and and a couple odd color call outs or none at all for a few parts.

Oh yeah, one annoying item. The mold ejection pin markings often have a 1/4 inch or so half round protrusion sticking up. There probably are at least a couple dozen or so on the two engine halves. They all have to be chopped off and sanded smooth in order for the two parts to fit together at all. it doesn't have to be fancy as that area will all be hidden, but I have never seen anything like these.

About to put the wraps on my F-4B conversion this week.  T-28 is on deck for next build!   I was hoping to see some detailed build and painting photos before I started though.  Come on guys, post up the work!

Edited by ScottsGT

I'm building one too and just wanted to let you know that you should take care when you glue the two engine halfs together. You can't just glue them any way you want; they can only be done in one specific way or the front- and aft parts of the engine won't be lined up correctly. 

You'll have to check by test-fitting. To make sure, I constructed the front and aft part completely before joining them. It's a very nice and detailed engine though! Hope this is helpfull.

Have fun with the construction!

Nic

Well, that didn't go very well. The photo links take you to everything on my Photobucket account. Not a big deal as there is nothing really private there.

I just went back and looked at my T-28B/D manual.  The canopy is kinda both electrical and hydraulic. The canopy open/close lever is electrical, and that controls the hydraulic operation of the canopy itself.

I will scan and post the cockpit images as soon as I can figure out a way to actually post the images rather than just a link to my whole album.

Im also in process of building a T-28 for Glen of KHM to be used as a demonstrator.  You are correct in that it seems to fit quite well!

However having MUCH experience on KHMs new gen 1/32nd kits, as well as the "decal over IP" style of consoles, I can tell you from experience it will work. I know it looks like it wont, but if you poke some very small holes for the molded on "buttons" on the console decals, as well as the IP decals, and even cut them at the appropriate demarks, you will be able to lay them down over the OOB side consoles.

Unless these are different than the previous T-6, OV-10 and OS2U decals it should work with some minor fussing and some Solvaset. Again I know it looks like they wont conform, but having done several STRICTLY OOB builds for KHM, I can say with 95% or so confidence that the will conform, and even look decent when your done.

Here is an example of the KHM decals over the OV-10 IP (s) which are even MORE bumpy than the T-28s are:

DSC03603.jpg

DSC03604.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

They are not perfect, but they turned out pretty decent to my eye for OOB, so if that is the route you want to go VS hand painting, it can be done, and without nearly as much work as one would think. 

I really had no choice on my builds, as since they were for Kitty Hawk themselves, they had to be strictly OOB, and I learned that this method is very possible with KHMs new gen kits.

Brian,

Those look really good.

I did use the decals for the instrument panels and like you said, they turned out just fine. The only fly in the ointment is the background color, the area that would be the panel itself, not the instruments, is a goofy lighter color than what is called out to paint that panel. I think it works out OK, as the finished panel is so far under the glare shield that the lighter color actually helps to see it.

I did not try the decals on the side consoles because I did not think that light background color would look good at all there.

Norm

Brian,

Those look really good.

I did use the decals for the instrument panels and like you said, they turned out just fine. The only fly in the ointment is the background color, the area that would be the panel itself, not the instruments, is a goofy lighter color than what is called out to paint that panel. I think it works out OK, as the finished panel is so far under the glare shield that the lighter color actually helps to see it.

I did not try the decals on the side consoles because I did not think that light background color would look good at all there.

Norm

I noticed that too.   The background color did look a bit funky, but I think with the pit being gull gray, and not too dark I dont think it will look bad. I really would like to see Eduard give some love to the T-28, and we can dispense with the decals all together.

Even some of Eduards stuff used to be funky colors, and some were not in register either, but they have seemed to improve their color PE lately, so Im hoping we get the same treatment for the T-28 that the OV-10 got.