F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

Hello Gary,

I just don't see how the parts can be correct, because the wing profile of the resin part seems different to the wing profile of the inner part of the wing.

If you fit the resin part to line up with the upper wing section, you get the result I ended up with. If you fit the part such that the bottom is in plane with the (kit) inner wing section, the top of the resin part will be sunk with respect to the (kit) inner wing section. If I removed too much material at the top, then you're saying the resin part should be moved forward, but then it seems like the slat would protrude forward with respect to the rest of the wing?

The plug you provide will close the gap on the inside but not change the out-of-plane issue.

Do you have any pics of the completed parts, fully assembled onto the kit to show? That would help clarify this.

Thx,

Marcel

Just got back int town.  will locate he pictures of the installed parts. 

Guy's   lets solve the problem as it is not personal so I don't understand your comments.   I am a big boy and if I screwed up I have no problem with admitting it, but at the same time this is about getting Marcel help with the problem he is having and having  a reference for others who might encounter a similar situation.  IT is not a competition and negative comments are completely not necessary and detract from the process.  I am the foremost authority on the set as I designed and made the parts in question.  They do fit if installed properly, period.    I am just trying to help out, and you won't get that kind of help from any other resin company.  No one else has even attempted such a complex set of kits as we have.   So if we can, let's be positive in our contributions and solve the problem shall we?

Guys, no negativity from my side, just an open discussion about a build.

I am taking a break from this project though. When things don't go as planned, I find it's a good idea to put the model aside for a while and get back at it a little later with fresh motivation and new ideas. Same thing happened with my Chico build, I ended up re-engaging pretty soon and got the result I was hoping to achieve.

I also have a very hectic next few weeks coming up and starting tomorrow so I'll be off the radar for a while anyway.

Thx for the interest in this thread!

Cheers,

Marcel

where do you see a negative comment? we are just interested to find out how it works.

To be clear, I certainly didn't intend or say anything "negative".  I just assumed there must be a completed model using these resin parts that can demonstrate how they work.  It appears that Gary has same, so it will be interesting to see them.

Cheers,

Chuck

Gary, nothing negative was intended by me either.

Merely offered some ideas and refs to Marcel as I like his work and he seemed to have reached an impasse.

But it would be great if you could show how your set should be installed.

As I said before an F-4S isn't presently on my radar, but never say never!

Hey Everyone, Sorry for the delay.    Seeing that this is the first F-4S build on the internet with the inner wing retracted ( Ken's F-4S has the inner wings extended ) I wanted to have good pictures to show whereby I can clarify the installation.  My original wing was used for many projects to test fitting of parts, so as to not create more confusion by showing it,  I went ahead and made up a wing for my F-4S build.   The work you see below took approx. two evenings to do, or about 6 hours.   IT is not easy and perhaps the hardest part of the entire Conversion set.   The VTAS sensors will be another such area, but Ken took great picture of these that I can post for Marcel when he gets to that point in the build.   This installation is posted on the F-4S thread on the GTR forum and is the basically the same for our F-4E/F/G wing set too.   IT should also be noted that the inner wing can be left out if the builder chooses to with no negative affect on the build.  TO do so would leave you with the wrong panel line layout at the worse, or you can choose to fill/ re-scribe the leading edge flap, and in the “S†case add the slat lip if desired.

Well here it goes, I am going to let the pictures do the talking rather than try and anticipate questions with answers that may not be necessary or cause more confusion.

IMG_1854_zpse99cyctw.jpg

IMG_1855_zpstuobc2z4.jpg

IMG_1856_zpsafurr4il.jpg

IMG_1857_zpsybhkko67.jpg

IMG_1858_zpsooofjcj2.jpg

IMG_1859_zpsttzjgyhf.jpg

IMG_1861_zps8ueioqee.jpg

Chex,  I may have misinterpreted your comments of the AM as being more negative than you meant them, if so I apologize.   The problem with posts, email, etc is that much can be read into them that is not there.   I sensed some negativity and wanted to address it if that was indeed was the case.   So please forgive me if I took it the wrong way.  Speaking for the GTR team, We are very passionate about what we do here and as modelers we understand all aspects of the product.   

Chuck,  I was referring to Chek's comments,   so no worries.   

Marcel,   I know you are upset, and have been there myself.  Please take a look at the pictures and lets get the problem solved, as you know there will be thousands of visitors over the life of this thread and I want to get the problem solved not only for us but for all of those future builders.   After building up the wing the last couple of nights,   I have a couple of ideas that could make the installation better, and I will be the first one to admit that my instructions are not the best,  so PLEASE make your suggestions so we can make the product better, as it is for you modelers that GTR Exists.

Fire away and have a great evening to all watching, Marcel is a true master at work!

Gary

GT Resin

Edited by ghatherly

Nicely said and nicely done Gary! :thumbsup:  A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sincerely Anthony

ps if I had the money I would buy this conversion.

Thanks for the kind words.  FYI,  We do make a F-4S MINI set that is about 1//2 the cost of the full Super Set.  Contact me with any questions.

Gary

I took the liberty of finishing up the F-4S wing for my build last night.    I posted many pictures over on the GTR Forum, and here is the link:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=58179&page=2

Here are a couple of shots:

IMG_1984_zpswrfbzz9y.jpg

IMG_1976_zpsl4zch5cc.jpg

IMG_1971_zpsu6e9zfnf.jpg

If further pics are needed form any different angles,  Please just drop me a note.

Looking forward to Marcel's resumption of the build!

Gary

hi guys, just to let  you know some info shared privately with the courtesy of Gary... so keep in mind  :rolleyes:

The Cutting Edge and the Wing Man outer wings are no accurate enough, CE is too small by 11%, have the wrong dihedral, the wrong panel details, and the slats, strakes, and the mounts are all wrong,
GTR ones have the correct shaped slats, strakes, and the wings are designed from scratch using CAD and 3D printing. All of the details GTR shows on their parts are missing from both Wingman and CE. Infact wingman is just a copy of the CE wing with all its flaws, plus the horrible rivet holes they added to the the wing top to cover up the copy. the Wingman and CE slats are USAF profile which is wrong. Look at the F-4S thread in GTR forum for comparison pictures.

cheers.

Edited by Luca

Gary, thx for posting those pics,

I think I can now tell what's going on. I assumed that the leading edge of the slat was in line with the leading edge of the inner wing, I think the top view of the drawings that I was working from showed this to be the case (travelling right now so can't check). The set has the slat leading edge be slightly forward of the inner wing leading edge. Judging by the excellent photos Chek posted, the slat leading edge is in fact somewhat forward of the inner wing leading edge, so the GT set is in fact correct.

Cheers,

Marcel