1/32 Hurricane

Radub

Radu,

Your capacity to convert 2D drawings in to a 1/32 3D replica is truly remarkable and reminds me of the mediaeval anatomists I studied at Med school.

You are indeed an ARTIST. Your work demands a wide audience.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Chris, I do not even know where to start teaching. It is impossible for me to explain everything in those pictures. The best thing is to ask specific questions and I will answer all.

Guy, I intend to leave the cockpit like that. I personally do not like a cockpit (or a plane) that looks as if Yoda "forced" it from a swamp. In my opinion, this is a weapon of war, the sharp end of the sword and it is in the interest of the flying and maintenace crew that their pride and joy is well oiled, cleaned, polished and generally in tip-top shape, without any indications of catastrophic leaks, muck, dust, poor bowel control or anything else. There is wear and tear in the places where that usually occurs in a cockpit, but that is all. There is some discrete shadowing in places to bring out the detail.

Mike, the chain on the port side (also used on the control yoke) is a kind of solder manufactured in Russia. I got that years ago during my travels abroad and I am quickly running out of it. I have no idea where to get more. It comes on a small reel and has no label or indication of source. It is very brittle, a pain to bend without breaking, and does not really hold shape very well. I was told that fly-tying shops have something similar but I could not find any such thing in the local fishing shop.

HTH

Radu

Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Chris, I do not even know where to start teaching. It is impossible for me to explain everything in those pictures. The best thing is to ask specific questions and I will answer all.

I can appreciate Radu's words here. Years of scratch building experience and technique development mean that there are many ways of approaching and tackling any given problem. It would be impossible to distill all of that knowledge in a build article, let alone a book. Experimentation, skill development through 'having a go' to see what works (and more importatntly, what doesn't), as well as the determination to keep going at all costs are key factors to improvement to so called 'master' level (I only class myself as experienced at best). Modelling, and especially kit detailing and scratch building, is a 'living beast' that develops over time - and we are always learning and developing new and better techniques every day. This is one reason why we are happy to share our knowledge with other modellers - it's a two way thing, encouragement and inspiration exchange.

Types of material to use alone can be an headache. I suspect that like myself, Radu has probably had an IPMS competition type background, where everything (just about) on the kit has to be made from plastic (or at least, a polyester/polystyrene type base). If it were just a case of making the components for their own sake, then any material (or household object) would suffice. Scratch building pattern parts is also a completely different discipline frm scratch building 'one off' items, as kit breakdown decrees differing build (and detail) techniques (as well as material properties for production considerations).

So, as Radu quite rightly asserts, individual questions would be much easier to answer than a whole liturgy of scratch building techniques (as desirable as that may be). Radu thanks for sharing your Hurricane build with us all on LSP, we are all very lucky to have modellers of your skill to enlighten us.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek,

Come on, there is no need to be modest - your excellent master-pattern work should qualify you as a master model builder. :D

To add to what Derek said, one needs a lot of preseverence to scratchbuild. Keep at it until you get results. Things will break, some will go horribly wrong, but when you get it right, it is such a joy.

Radu

Hi Radu,

Good of you to answer my question, thanks.

If you are looking for a source of lead wire then you could try here:

http://www.troutfishing.co.uk/ishop/243/sh...shopscr776.html

I ordered some just the other week. It comes in three different thicknesses, it is very pliable and can even be rolled if required. I'm sure some could be flattened slightly and then crimped to give a chain effect.

HTH

:o

Radu,

Wow...It's really coming together now at last! (it looks brilliant even at this stage). It will be really difficult to tell your model apart from the real Mc Coy when it is fully completed!). Good show.

Cheers

Derek