1/32 Hurricane

Radub

:) where do I pay? ;)

Jay

All will be revealed when appropriate. ;) At the moment, I just want to finish painting and decaling, then I can start making a mess of my worktop again (sanding dust and shards of plasticard, you know the stuff that can mess up a finish)

Radu

Great paintwork.

A remark if I may.

I didn't know that Hurricanes had yellow wingtips on the B/W undersurface. At least I've never seen any pics to confirm this.

Where did you find the evidence ?

Hi Erwin,

You are correct if talking about RAF Hurricanes.

However, this is a Romanian Hurricane of the 53rd Squadron based in Mamaia following the beginning of Barbarossa in 1941. (Protecting the Black Sea coast against Russian attacks).

Those are Axis Eastern Front theatre markings. There are a few pictures of these planes in this thread http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857

HTH

Radu

Hi Erwin,

You are correct if talking about RAF Hurricanes.

However, this is a Romanian Hurricane of the 53rd Squadron based in Mamaia following the beginning of Barbarossa in 1941.

Thanks for the info.

I was assuming you where doing an BoB Hurricane.

Guest LSP_Jay L

I just checked out that thread on the romanian History site, and man do those guys take it sriously :D Excellent source though, and bloody fascinating. Makes me want to do one as well. Cheers for sharing it.

Cheers mate,

Jay

I just checked out that thread on the romanian History site, and man do those guys take it sriously :lol:  Excellent source though, and bloody fascinating. Makes me want to do one as well. Cheers for sharing it.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Apart from the "hotheads" and flamers on that thread, the info is invaluable and the photos great. There are some important historians on the forum and their work is amazing. I love it. If you need to know anything about RoRAF, that is the place to go.

Radu

It's a great place to find info on Rumanian a/c that you probably won't

find anywhere else. I found some very useful info re the 109G-2 I'm

almost (no really) finished with. It was in a thread that was 117 pages long :)

Mike

a

b

e

n

...looking good Radu!

On the real thing, the tail band was also widened. Initially it was a narrow yellow stripe like those applied to the wings. When it was widened, the initial band was still visible. In one of the existing photographs of this plane, there was a significat contrast between the old colour and the new one, but that may be the result of weathering. I tried to keep the contrast quite low in order to match another photograph that shows a less stark contrast.

There are three photographs of "yellow 1" that I know of. All photos show a plane wearing standard RAF camoufalge.

- One photo shows the plane wearing roundels.

- The second photo shows the plane wearing crosses, yellow nose and faint contrast between the yellow bands on tail. The plane looks freshly painted all over and in a pristine condition.

- The third photo shows the plane wearing crosses, no yelow nose, stark contrast between the yellow bands. The plane looks very weathered.

I chose the second because of the yellow nose.

Radu

post-4-1128800369.jpg