1/32 Matchbox/Revell kitbashery Westland P.12 Wendover

Rob1970

Excellent work, Rob! How did you get the extra strip inside the template so neatly? And using CA, too! I'd have simply glued it to my thumb and the workbench simultaneously.

Kev

I put the template flat on a bathroom tile I have just for this kind of job, then first pressed the strip into the top of the template and flowed thin CA into the seam with a micro-brush. Hit it with another microbrush loaded with zipkicker and worked my way around the template like that. CA doesn't adhere all that well to the glaze of a tile, so it didn't stick. 

Rob

Stunning work so far !

I can't figure out what the use of such a plane would be. Still a slow moving target.And the Germans would simply have attacked from the front to avoid the turret.

I put the template flat on a bathroom tile I have just for this kind of job, then first pressed the strip into the top of the template and flowed thin CA into the seam with a micro-brush. Hit it with another microbrush loaded with zipkicker and worked my way around the template like that. CA doesn't adhere all that well to the glaze of a tile, so it didn't stick. 

Rob

Thanks for the explanation, Rob. Good work!

Kev

Stunning work so far !

I can't figure out what the use of such a plane would be. Still a slow moving target.And the Germans would simply have attacked from the front to avoid the turret.

Well, it was meant as a beach strafer... fly along the beach and pepper the invading army from that rear turret... But it is probably a good thing they never needed them...

Now... Onwards!!!

Drilled all the holes with a Dremel in a drill stand, which made quick work of this job...

20160127_120924_zps2hhe9i5o.jpg

A rare action shot, courtesy of SWMBO (aka The Shaker of Heads When The Postman Cometh...). Sawing out each space between the frame means threading the saw blade through one of the holes and fastening it again. Is there anything like a quick-release jigsaw? Because I will buy two!

20160128_125205_zps142wjg8x.jpg

Yeah, it looks pretty rough...

20160127_123121_zpssjyuedkw.jpg

That's where the files come in...

20160127_165210_zpsv0lojomk.jpg

Before and after, from left to right...

20160127_165059_zpsmmzrkhcr.jpg

And when it's all square, these guys come in. Inherited from my mate Jack when he passed away...

20160127_223057_zpsjxmqw3dw.jpg

...and we start turning it all round again!

20160127_223045_zpstwyyzjdw.jpg

All the bits of the frame are now tubular, as they should be. I left the top runner of the lower half square on top, and I will trim the outsides when I am done making the fittings at each intersection of tube.

20160128_130522_zpssybmotcm.jpg

One done, one to go...

More soooon!!

Rob

A couple of days of sawing, filing and sanding and I have two complete side frames. With all the tubes rounded I used my fretsaw to saw them out and then filed the outsides straight.

20160129_160134_zpsu5zqvep1.jpg

And now the mancave looks like Tony Montana used it as his office... biggrin.gif

tumblr_npg6xjcUQh1rzug7zo1_500_zpsto2iro

Next I made a jig so I could get the angle of the top half of the new frame right, using the old frame as a guide.

20160130_152521_zpsuotpstun.jpg

I used a razor saw to cut a wedge out of the uprights of my lovely new frames, then widened the slot with a thin file.

20160129_193415_zpss6fka3my.jpg

My CA-glue setup; Brown for cheap poundstore CA, white for zip-kicker, Microbrushes for applicatiion. Just don't mix up your brushes... wink.gif

20160129_194158_zpshf2ffzsy.jpg

I put some tape in the jig to stop the CA-glue from sticking my frames to my jig, then put in my frame. A dab of CA, then a dab of zip-kicker on each joint fixed them in place at the right angle.

20160129_194131_zpsmwb2f6a8.jpg

The styrene cracked on the outside of the bends, but I hit those with some CA and kicker too.

20160129_194138_zpswzfjoykq.jpg

Old and new frame. Just need to sand the glued joints free of excess CA-glue, then start working on the cross-braces.

20160129_195137_zpsfwasd5sw.jpg

More sooooon!!

Rob

Edited by Rob1970