Spitfire IIa of 1690 BDTF: finished 3 March (RIP)

mozart

Yesterday's work on the underside turned out perfectly, these using Microset and ensuring that the stencil was firmly pressed in place:

DSCN9657_zpsf0w6wwsz.jpg

I for one wouldn't be able to get conventional decals to sit as well on some of these surfaces nor without silvering in places.

DSCN9656_zpsgytyet5c.jpg

I've just got the aft end to do and I'm going to use Microsol for that to see if it makes any difference, but I'm really pleased with how they are now looking.
Max
Edited by mozart

So glad that you've got to grips with the dry transfers Max. They look superb and if they go right are the answer to all my prayers.

Like you I've had numerous issues with decals in the past but also like you initially I too had problems with the HGW transfers.

Thanks to you and the guys who offered the advice I think I may just have another go with the remainder of the set I've got, especially on a silver finish.

Great job.

Love the chipping on the wing root..Must give that a try (How was that done?)

Very simple Shaka, it's known as the hair spray method. You put down your base silver colour, when that's dry spray or brush some hair spray (the kind that ladies use for holding their curls in place!) on the silver. Forget it's there and paint your model as usual, then when you're ready get a cocktail stick and start to pick away in the areas you want chipped, as much or as little as you wish!
Max

If you are using acrylic for the top coat a moist toothbrush will also give good results.

Getting closer to the finish all the time Max. She's looking fine, keep at it.

Cheers

I'm trying a new-to-me weathering technique using oil paints, and I think I've possibly strayed slightly from the usual method but it's working.  The usual method is to put small blobs of oil paint on the surface then gradually blend them in to achieve the desired effect but, being a sometime water-colourist dauber, I've used white spirit as a thinner then mixed some oil washes, applied those to the wings then used a dry broad brush to spread and blend the wash, following up with a charged 000 brush down panel lines to provide an accent:

DSCN9663_zpstvckyslg.jpg

DSCN9661_zpszz7v34wa.jpg

DSCN9664_zps6n6dcdke.jpg

DSCN9665_zps5n58yeq6.jpg

DSCN9666_zpsrcyjwiwn.jpg

DSCN9667_zps7lqbskfs.jpg

Hope you think it works too, any comments in either direction very welcomed!! :)
Max

Thank you chaps, it's not finished yet but that's a couple of hours work so far. I was a little anxious in case there might be a chemical reaction between the white spirit and the lacquer-based paint but it's been fine. Since I'm only building up or moving around thin layers of paint I have total control over the effect. It's more work than my usual Flory's Dark Dirt but so much more satisfying and dare I say flexible.

What I hadn't realised until later, but is clearly visible in picture 3, is the carrier film still in place on the "outboard walkway" warning sign! It lifted off with no problems, I'm 100% sold on the stencils now. :)

Max

Edited by mozart