Trumpy Corsair II canopy?

JunkyJan

Good day!

I bought the 1/32 Trumpeter Corsair II kit about a year ago. At the time the Exactoman website still showed the Correction Kit (to fix the squished intake and canopy) as still available. Of course I then tried to order the kit, got no response and then a few weeks later the Correction Kit went to "Not Available" status.  So.... I'm capable of fixing the mis-shaped intake lip & trunking myself, but I've never been any good at vacuforming canopies (half a century if model-building experience - "a man's got to know his limitations" biggrin.gif )

Do anyone know of an alternative source of (correctly-shaped) 1/32 Corsair II canopies?

Regards
-- Jan
Edited by JunkyJan

There are none.

We can hope Chris Wilson finds a satisfactory vacform part subcontractor as that and the Su-27 canopy correction sets are no more.

I have two sets and am currently building two A-7Es. I tried to get back-up vacs from Zactomodels as a fail safe but he wouldn't sell me any.

Maybe somebody enterprising who's competent at moulding clear resin can provide a fix. But I don't think Paul Fisher or Alistair Alleycat is interested, unfortunately.

Tony

That was Zacto's best selling product too.  I have an A-7D here that I will not build until a correction kit is available.

Normally, I'm an "if it's close enough it's good enough" sort of guy, but in the case of the A-7 kits, they're not

close enough.  I've seen one built up and it does look odd, even to me.

Thanks for the responses guys. I feel exactly the same way - an A-7 needs at least to be "approximately" correct and unfortunately the canopy line + intake are prominent recognition features of the type. It's a no-go for the time being, then!

Edited by JunkyJan

I purchased Chris's set a long time ago when it first came out, and squirreled it away at the time collecting my VA-72 "Desert Storm" decals from Cam, as well as a nice set of wheels from Master Casters and nose wheels from Harold.....................along with cockpit set, and other AM. 

I have not looked at my vac set in a long time, and it makes me nervous to think that the canopies are no more if I happen to foul it up.

I still might go for it one of these days, but with a full building docket for the 2017 US NATs, and wanting to hit multiple categories including the 1/32nd military jet class, I have a lot to build, and I still have my Trumpeter Su-30 ready to be entered in that class, so I still might hold off awhile.

Lucky, I have one stashed but I want to get another one (VA-86 and VA-72 off the Nimitz)

I can't help wonder how hard it can be to get someone to vacuform  the canopies if you have the master. Is it some strange undercut that no body can get right?  

Well, in fact this is far from easy!

If you ever tried to vacform clear plastic you understood it quickly. Plastic has too keep its color because a lot of them are progressively yellowing. So you cannot use any clear plastic sheet. It also has to be thick enough to be rigid as otherwise the part is too flimsy. However, if it is too thick, you cannot vacform it correctly. Last, the surface of the created part has be totally clear, without any blemish or thickness irregularity and this is the most difficult part as heat has an effect on this...

Far from being easy, believe me!

Paul Fisher would be a rich man if he would make a correction set like the Zacto one. The big canopy for the TF-9J is a masterpiece! Every time I think about getting my A-7 out and building it without the correction I stop because of that nose...

MM

Edited by Magic Mike