HpH News

morane

I'm not very familiar with HpH so what is the quality like?

I'd buy a Helldiver in a heartbeat if it was good quality.

What sort of costs are we looking at?

Joe, there's a brief list of reviews on the website, which should give you an idea of what the kits are like:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/?act=filter&field=company&data=HpH+Models

Bear in mind that they vary in size and complexity, so it's difficult to extrapolate too much across the range. There are a small number of builds going on in the WiP forum too, including Brian's Walrus, a couple of Fw 189s, and Richard's amazing Catalina. Just search for 'hph' in the Works in Progress forum, and you should find them.

In terms of cost, they're not cheap, but comparable to other top-shelf resin kits from the likes of Fisher and Silver Wings. Again, though, the extreme variation in kit size and complexity seen in the HpH catalogue means some kits can be had for less than $100, whereas their 1/48 Concorde kit is around $700!

Kev

I'd say, the quality of the HpH resin molding is right up there with the best cottage resin makers around.

To me the real down side is all the parts are are on a "pool" type pour blocks. So a whole sheet of parts come in one section, but the thickness of the pour sheet then remains and needs to be sanded off each part.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Didn't Peter(pools) start the lovely S.38 Schulgleiter ?

Hubert

I'm not very familiar with HpH so what is the quality like?

I'd buy a Helldiver in a heartbeat if it was good quality.

What sort of costs are we looking at?

Joe ... to be brief ... Think HKM style detail, fit and finish - only in resin.

and add about 50% to the price.

Expensive ... definitely.

... but worth every penny!!

Rog :)

I'd have to disagree a little.

The fit is not good and nowhere near an injected plastic kit.

If you buy HPH expecting HKM, you're in for a shock.

I'd have to disagree a little.

The fit is not good and nowhere near an injected plastic kit.

If you buy HPH expecting HKM, you're in for a shock.

It's hard to generalize resin kits. I've had little to no fit problems on my Me-410, the fuselage went together brilliantly.  But with resin, every kit is going to be different.  My kit had HKM level fit or even better, but someone else's will be a fight.  If you buy an HpH kit expecting HKM, I think the shock will be in how much detail HpH has included, miles ahead of what HKM has been including in their kits

Matt  :frantic:

It's hard to generalize resin kits. I've had little to no fit problems on my Me-410, the fuselage went together brilliantly.  But with resin, every kit is going to be different.  My kit had HKM level fit or even better, but someone else's will be a fight.  If you buy an HpH kit expecting HKM, I think the shock will be in how much detail HpH has included, miles ahead of what HKM has been including in their kits

Matt  :frantic:

I've been building HPH's Walrus.

Hard work, from sanding every single 3D printed piece to make it fit, to getting the fuselage halves to mate, to getting the wings to fit in the right place.

The Macchi M5 needs a fair bit of work as well.

I've been building HPH's Walrus.

Hard work, from sanding every single 3D printed piece to make it fit, to getting the fuselage halves to mate, to getting the wings to fit in the right place.

Oh indeed Dean!   Wait till you try to get the wings on!  Its a scary scary thing, when you have to shove two super thick steel rods through a fuselage that you just got done putting a ton of work into!

Anyone who buys a Hph kit thinking that it will fit together like a HK kit will be in for a big surprise. I have found their kits require a major amount of work to get them to fit together properly.

Eric.

The problem lies with different resins and parameters that influence resin shrinkage. Fast-curing resins tend to shrink significantly when curing ...

Hubert

Yes, I agree - I don't mean to criticise HPH or resin kit manufacturers in general.

They produce kits that mainstream injected plastic manufacturers steer clear of - Silver Wings & their wonderful inter-war kits are my current favourite manufacturer - but anybody who expects HPH kits to fit like HKM kits is in for a shock.

By all means buy HPH kits, just don't expect injected plastic quality.