1/16 Takom Renault FT-17 tank WIP NEW Update 11 , BASE UPDATE PICTURE

TonyT

THat's just outstanding.... A real lesson about weathering and decaying, material by material. Even the small brass plate is oxyded with green copper oxyde, i love this kind of details !

Edited by Zero77

Thanks guys, I'm blown away by all the kind comments, to be honest they have taken me back a bit, rusting is easier to do than a normal paint schemes, you just have to be brave and plow in, unlike a normal camouflaged finish there are no rules, and no set pattern to the corrosion, it's a simple case of applying it and seeing how it works and in that context you are free to experiment.

A normal paint scheme is harder to apply and weather as it is the norm and can be difficult to apply well, that and the viewers have a preconceived conception on how it should look, rust in comparison is easy, you just need to work at it, and follow basic rules, metal tends to corrode from certain points, moisture traps, fastener areas, points of high wear and edges etc, the rest follows suit.

When this is done I intend to try and do a little guide on how I do my corrosion and believe me it is easy, I can do the basic corrosion on some of the panels in minutes, though to be honest I do go back and tweak it a bit, the most successful part in my opinion ( which I personally like ) is the corrosion on the brass / copper plate, and I will try to add that to the guide.....

Edited by TonyT

This build, and the quality of the original kit could almost make me want to have a go at a tank, and it would be the Renault ...

However, I am sure I could never match your talent.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got back into it :D

Second ever attempt at doing a proper base for my 1/16 FT-17, this is about a weeks tinkering in the evenings so far, not a lot to see as I need to spend more time photographing it.

Base is a picture frame packed with polystyrene sheet, coloured plaster added too that, then a couple of sand pigments added with acrylic resin, I then gathered some ground down pebbles come grit off a cinder path and using the resin painted over the top to add the stones, home made rust was added in places and some pigment and home made rust too add some detail. some resin 45 gallon drums and various bits of plastic tubes, grass etc were added along with some 1/16 bits left over from another tank.. will update as I work on it Any shiny bits are were I still need to flat coat the resin used to bond parts to the base. All hand painted BTW over an aerosol black primer coat

Hope you like it so far.

28004769395_d0b37d65ee_c.jpgAfghan FT-17 scrap by Tony Taylor, on Flickr

27902479442_26f8a08783_c.jpgAfghan Ft-17 Main by Tony Taylor, on Flickr

Edited by TonyT