F-4C wild Weasel back in bussines 01/02

mark31

Oh dear Mark, I feel your pain!  It happened to  me once, in my case it was because my clear coat/thinner ratio was wrong.....not enough thinner.  These days I mix my clear coat and test it on a scrap airframe before applying, once bitten twice shy as we say.

Max

Ouch !

That's weird... What is this Tamiya clear coat? I only know the spraycan one, but as you talked about mix, i think you should be talking about an acrylic one. Never seen any acrylic do that on another acrylic.

That's no fun, but i think you have to paint it again.... If the issue is only visual, you may just overpaint it. But if there is even a strange texture, you will have to strip the paint off. I know it's a poor consolation, but it's better to have this now than later with decals, details, and so on.

I have started to set a clear coat on the phantom so i can start in a few days with the decals.

I have used tamiya clear with there thinner and this is the result.

Hi Mark,

ooh boy, a not so pleasant surprise :angry2:

Can you give us a clear photo of the bottle Tamiya clear coat that u used? 

Reason i ask you is the fact that there is a certain Tamiya clear coat that is in fact a base that is used to flatten a clear coat. I had that used to in the past without knowing that it was not clear coat and it gave the same effect like on you're model.

Also, a Tamiya clear coat has the habit to show a white appearance if you put to much clear coat at once on you're model. I always thin my clear coat like milk and shoot multiple very thin layers on my model.

Hopefully you can resolve this problem fast and go on with this very nice build.

Greetz

Danny

Was the humidity high when you sprayed?  I have had this happen when the temp and humidity was high causing airborne water vapor to condense in the aerosol on the way to the model.  I recommend trying a test respray (or brush re-coat) over a small area that went "bad" - this has sometimes worked for me.

Edited by OldTroll

Oh dear Mark, I feel your pain!  It happened to  me once, in my case it was because my clear coat/thinner ratio was wrong.....not enough thinner.  These days I mix my clear coat and test it on a scrap airframe before applying, once bitten twice shy as we say.

Max

Thanks and yes from now on i will tet all the paints and varnish on a test pieces.

About the ratio i have thinted hard but yes leason learnd

Ouch !

That's weird... What is this Tamiya clear coat? I only know the spraycan one, but as you talked about mix, i think you should be talking about an acrylic one. Never seen any acrylic do that on another acrylic.

That's no fun, but i think you have to paint it again.... If the issue is only visual, you may just overpaint it. But if there is even a strange texture, you will have to strip the paint off. I know it's a poor consolation, but it's better to have this now than later with decals, details, and so on.

I never had that before and yes im lucky it happend now and not after decaling

Hi Mark,

ooh boy, a not so pleasant surprise :angry2:

Can you give us a clear photo of the bottle Tamiya clear coat that u used? 

Reason i ask you is the fact that there is a certain Tamiya clear coat that is in fact a base that is used to flatten a clear coat. I had that used to in the past without knowing that it was not clear coat and it gave the same effect like on you're model.

Also, a Tamiya clear coat has the habit to show a white appearance if you put to much clear coat at once on you're model. I always thin my clear coat like milk and shoot multiple very thin layers on my model.

Hopefully you can resolve this problem fast and go on with this very nice build.

Greetz

Danny

Thanks Danny this is what i have used.

BILD0036_zpsrgmu1joc.jpg

Was the humidity high when you sprayed?  I have had this happen when the temp and humidity was high causing airborne water vapor to condense in the aerosol on the way to the model.  I recommend trying a test respray (or brush re-coat) over a small area that went "bad" - this has sometimes worked for me.

it whas normal room tempratur from now on i will test spray everything

Andi will give it a try on respraying a small area.

All of you thanks for the advice

Mark

Thank's Mark,

indeed that's the right one.

The only solution i can give you is to thin the coat like milk ( you already mentioned that you did) and spray multiple very thin layers with a drying time between them of about max. five minutes. I know it's a little bit time consuming but the end result is that what count's. That's the way i always do mine models.

Succes

Greetz

Danny

Mark,

Just a thought before you strip the whole lot back for repaint, try very lightly cutting back the affected area with some extremely fine wet and dry and plenty of water, or even rubbing it over with toothpaste and a soft cloth, you might be surprised 

The key to this is be gentle, hardly any pressure should be applied. At this stage you have nothing to loose. 

I use the Tamiya Lacquer thinner to remove paint.   IT is thinned out straight form the bottle and is  no harm to clear, and if used with caution will not harm the plastic.    The drawback is the you will have to start over with the paint job, and have to clean out the surface details if they fill with the pain you are removing.   IF you do this wear rubber gloves and use a good paper town that is lint free.   Messy but effective.  I used this on the Bitburg Eagle I built a couple of years ago as the first paint job was just bad, and it worked out fine other than taking some time and patience.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up, things happen!

Gary

Mark,

You might want to try the brand name "Future" (or its equivalent overseas) for your clear coats in the future. It should be available at your local grocery store in the cleaning isle. I've never, evver had a problem using it straight from the bottle in my airbrush for clear coating prior to decals. Sorry about your issue with the Tamiya product. That has to suck big time after all your time & effort!

Masterguns