F-4J (UK) 74 SQN RAF 1989ish

Whitey

I've been a bit slow but over the last couple of days I have managed to clean up any bumps and lumps discovered after the undercoat and get down to painting the undersides with Mr Hobby H332 Light Aircraft Grey. 

The rest of the bits are coming along.

Extras used so far:

- Eduard Brassin MK 7 Seats - good shape but the photo etch is a biatch. Used microporre for most of them and cut the buckles off the Eduard photoetch. Fiddly but ok. Not really happy with them but still some work to do. Waiting on some AMS MK & seats to arrive and see how they look. No rush to put them in yet;

- GT Resin tailpipes. Lovely crisp detail. I left the Tamiya cans in and the GT ones fit beautifully. They will be put on once the main painting is done and the steel colours finished on the rear end;

- Academy AIM-9L missiles left over from my F/A-18B kit;

- Flightpath Gunpod. Bloody heavy piece of kit so will have to "nail" it in I think.

Phantom%20and%20bits.jpg

I plan a full warload of 4 Skyflash and the 4 Sidewinders in live mode.

Phantom%20and%20bits%202.jpg

Detailing the undercarriage is next on the agenda I think.

Edited by Whitey

I couldn't find the end caps from the rear end of two of the Academy Sidewinders so I had to cast some up from the ones that I did have. They are the two little white dots on the foam with the rockets. 

Good work on the F-4. Just a note the in flight refueling door should be flat and not bulged as depicted on the Tamiya kit. It should follow the contours of the outer skin of the air frame. maybe to late to do anything about it as it's just one of my little pet peeves with this kit.

Love this scheme for the F-4.

I built it several years ago with the Osprey "Modeling the F-4 Phantom ll" as a reference due to one of the

authors has a piece of ZE350 to use as a color match.  Model Masters FS 35414 is a  really close match to the

original "Blue" the aircraft were delivered in.  Lock-On No10 has a picture of a 74 Sqn  (UK) with a gun pod on the cover.

These jets were used in the QRA for air defence for the most part.

Keep up the Great Work

Jack

I've got photos of some 74 SQN jets with the gun pod too and confirmed directly with former aircrew. They liked it but it was hard to maintain constant alignment for accuracy.

The top surfaces will be Barley Grey. It won't have the RWR on the intakes and will be T for TIger.

• 1 month later...

Not many updates but lots of work happening.

Finally painted and decaled.  Mr Hobby Barley Grey (H334) on top and Light Aircraft Grey (H332) undersides. Radome is Tamiya Grey surface primer.

8Feb16%204.jpg

FlightPath gunpod and kit Sparrows marked up as Skyflashes.

Clearcoat was Testors from the spraycan and dirt from Flory Black Wash.  The wash "stuck" to the gloss to a certain extent and although overdone in a couple of places that needed fine sanding back, has added a grimy effect to the overall jet.

8Feb16%202.jpg

Jet pipes from GT Resin. A combination of Alclad and Model Master metalics for the tail end hot bits.

8Feb16%205.jpg

Undersides are pretty filthy. Final configuration will be 2 external tanks, 4 live Skyflash rounds, 4 live AIM-9Ls and the SUU-23 gunpod as a jet on "Alert" would have been.

8Feb16%20undersides%201.jpg

Still got lots of detailing and touch ups to do but the end is in sight. Still working out the details to add into the brake chute area.

8Feb16%206.jpg

Edited by Whitey

Some of the other photos from this morning.  Now to get back to the bench. Don't you just love long weekends. 

Still got to add photoetch canopy frame seals.

8Feb16%20nose%201.jpg

Should have realised that the refuelling probe door is flush on RAF jets and not bulged like on USN jets. Too late when I realised though.

Added the periscope but haven't installed the box in the cockpit yet. It's made but not quite finished.

8Feb16%20nose%202.jpg

The F-4's head-on aspect is attractive.

8Feb16%20Headon.jpg

"Skyflash" with Two Bobs Sparrow decals. The discs were punched from decals.

8Feb16%20Skyflash.jpg

8Feb16%20Undersides%202.jpg

8Feb16%203.jpg

Edited by Whitey

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...