Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Good call,  I think the back side was flat black too so passengers didn't get vertigo from the silver whirly bits, but it's up to you

Kev's post 198 third pic

Sorry forth pic

Thanks, Ron. I thought I spied some back in black. I think I'll do that, since I can prime them using Mr. Surfacer Black anyway.

Kev

Found the 1/72 decals again, too:

http://www.vintageflyerdecals.com/vfd000-117---boeing-377-stratocruiser-pan-am-final.html

The blue looks a lot lighter in the image on that website than the Liveries Unlimited version, though that doesn't necessarily equate to what the decals themselves will look like. I could always use them as templates for paint masks I guess, but I'll worry about all that down the track. Right now, I still have to finish this one!

Kev

Nice looking 767, Kev. Were the wing root LE lights provided with the kit? I don't recall seeing them on my 767 kits, and I haven't yet opened the new one.

I'm also intending to measure the compressor face fan dome (or whatever it's called), and draw a spiral in AutoCAD that I can use as a template for a decal, as almost all Delta 767's I've seen, have them.

And that big Strat looks awesome. Too late to ask Santa for one, but perhaps next year I'll chase one down,... always did like that aircraft.

DUB767400wa%20038%20red_zpsbyqhmzaj.jpg

Nice looking 767, Kev. Were the wing root LE lights provided with the kit?

Nah, the kit decal sheet was pretty minimal, as was the Hawkeye Ansett sheet I used. The wing root lights came from the following Flying Colors Decals sheet:

http://www.fcdecals.com/page.php?id=78

You'll note it also includes the white spirals!

While the Coroguard panels came from this one:

http://www.fcdecals.com/page.php?id=77

I found those Coroguard decals really difficult to work with, however. While they're thin, and very nicely printed, they bubbled up whenever I overcoated them with anything - including Future! In the end I had to use both the supplied sets, combined with some judicious sanding and polishing. Up close you can still see a couple of areas where I came close to sanding through. One of the more frustrating decalling experiences I've had! The smaller decals on the detail sheet didn't seem to suffer the same problem, so I really can't account for it.

Kev

Interesting. I'm contemplating just painting the Corogard areas on mine. I didn't know about the little spiral decals, so thanks for that. Nazca also makes some really cool stuff for the 767, so I may look into contacting Gaston for some specific sheets.

So, down to the wire now. In the photo below, from a previous update, you can see where I managed to break the nose wheel leg:

eEkY4h.jpg

Here's the broken part:

7cl3Ba.jpg

There was just no way I could get away with simply gluing it back in place, since it will be a crucial load-bearing element, so I decided to replace the vertical support with a segment of aluminium tubing, and then create a small pin by inserting a piece of guitar string:

CcgqGP.jpg

I drilled a suitable hole into the main part of the nose wheel leg unit, and inserted the pin into it. I think the combination of the pin and the CA I've used to attach it should be strong enough for the job. Here it is, all finished:

BSliXZ.jpg

And here she is, finally on her legs:

rVwtJA.jpg

I did what I could with the horrible main wheels:

UtqtrF.jpg

And the props are done:

H2LEQM.jpg

So, all that remains is to finish and affix the landing gear doors, and then it's done! That should later today.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

And here she is, folks - finished at last!

gIPbho.jpg

sMCJbV.jpg

VGFOOE.jpg

NL82L1.jpg

o4agWq.jpg

vzE8s0.jpg

While I quite like the way it looks, it's far from a great build, and I won't be showing it in competition anywhere. I'm still getting this weird yellowing over the area where I used the CA/talc mix to blend in the windscreen part, and I figure that's only going to get worse in the coming weeks and months.

But rather than whinge about the build, I'd just like to thank you all for following along, and for all your great comments.

Kev