Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Darn, Kev, now I'm wanting one of these Stratocruiser kits.

They're hard to find, actually, and expensive when you do. I had to settle for the tanker kit, but they're very similar. At least I got a good deal on it.

Kev

Do you think $45 is too much? There's one on feebay right now for that amount. I'd pay that in a heartbeat, if I had the cash.

I think I paid $35 for mine, bought it off a mate. They generally go for at least $50 here, though that's in Aussie pesos. US$45 is probably a fair price, without being a bargain. From looking at the parts in the box at least, it appears to be a much better kit than its smaller Minicraft alternative. I'll see if I can drag it out and post some shots for you.

Kev

OK, firstly to update the build itself. Here's what it currently looks like with nearly all the decals on:

jRIWJp.jpg

There are just some tiny little decals for the engine nacelles left, and I may yet leave them off. The nose door also needs the last 3 digits of the registration applied, but I have to assemble that from tiny individual numbers (much like the serials themselves on each side of the fuselage). I still had some alignment issues with the window decals too, but all of my own clumsy doing. The decals themselves are fantastic! A belated thanks to Jennings for doing such great work.

Here's Clipper Australia:

eEkY4h.jpg

And here's a comparison between the Cobra Company white metal props (left) and the kit version:

la1eKW.jpg

The kit one has its spinner nose cone glued in place, and of course, they're all a really poor fit! Will have to see what it looks like under a coat of primer. The kit props, despite being poor overall, are still closer to what we're seeing in photos than the Cobra ones, so that's what I'll compromise with.

And here's examples of the terrible kit wheels:

6xYWmS.jpg

Ugh! Not sure what to do about those, other than nothing. I really should have built this one in-flight!

Kev

Looks great

I wouldn't mess with the wheels.  At 144 scale the buz is the overall look not the perfect detail,  and you nailed that.

That's a good point too. I'll be starting a 1:144 767 in another week or so, and the nose wheel is pretty tiny, all things considered.

Looks great

I wouldn't mess with the wheels.  At 144 scale the buz is the overall look not the perfect detail,  and you nailed that.

Thanks, Ron. I'm definitely happy with the overall look, and it'll be a neat little shelf-sitter when it's done. But I've definitely seen better-done wheels than those in this scale. But as you say, possibly not worth worrying about.

Kev

You don't have a 1:144 B-29 you could rob wheels from? No guarantee they'd be any better though.

Unfortunately not. The Minicraft B-29 is in fact the even older Crown kit, I believe, dating back to the early '70s. Probably doesn't have wheels at all! The Fujimi kit is said to superior in every way, but I've not seen that one.

That's a good point too. I'll be starting a 1:144 767 in another week or so, and the nose wheel is pretty tiny, all things considered.

That's a good example to cite, actually, as the wheels in that kit are quite nicely done. Here's an oblique shot where you can see the nose wheel detail:

MTf8wS.jpg

I couldn't find a photo that shows the main wheels, unfortunately, but they're just as nice (even if I did screw up the order of fitment!).

Kev

OK, here are some photos of the Academy 1/72 kit, in its KC-97G guise:

jW2wO6.jpg

Fuselage sprue:

3E211t.jpg

Some simple but crisp recessed surface detail:

VPdrDh.jpg

And a size comparison:

bbHmoR.jpg

She's a big girl!

Instructions and decals:

w8Bq3I.jpg

A useless photo of the clear parts:

eGDDJ9.jpg

The remaining sprues (sorry, I couldn't be bothered taking them out of their bags!):

ugzlGZ.jpg

CBHixo.jpg

Once I can procure some suitable decals (or even paint masks), I may even make a start on with this one.

Kev

Thanks, Ron. There appears to be a bit of variety, from the photos I've been looking at. Here's one that shows what I mean:

props2_zps0jkdkbvt.png

Black blade base, 2/3 leading edge strip, and evidence of the maker logo on the furthest prop. No evidence of any warning stripe at the tips. I've just noticed how wrong the kit wheels are, too, compared to photos of the real thing!

One thing this build has done, though, is really whet my appetite to tackle the 1/72 scale kit (in more-or-less the same livery).

Kev

It looks like only #4 has the black leading edge (de-icer boot?)- It doesn't seem to be on 3, and is missing on #1.

It looks like only #4 has the black leading edge (de-icer boot?)- It doesn't seem to be on 3, and is missing on #1.

Yep, that certainly looks to be the case, Lee. I'm tempted just to paint them entirely in matt aluminium and leave it at that. It looks like the majority have at least the base of each blade in black, however.

Kev

Yep, that certainly looks to be the case, Lee. I'm tempted just to paint them entirely in matt aluminium and leave it at that. It looks like the majority have at least the base of each blade in black, however.

Kev

Good call,  I think the back side was flat black too so passengers didn't get vertigo from the silver whirly bits, but it's up to you

Kev's post 198 third pic