Junkers Ju-87 R2 Trumpeter 1/32.........FINISHED

monthebiff

Very impressed with the fit of this kit so far, lower wing fitted with the minimum of filler required, also managed to build the replacement nose from Brian Fawcett which has gone together perfectly, Radiator's and grill painted prior to installation so some careful masking will be required.

20150614_173921_zpsmbs2awtg.jpg

All looking good until I offered it up to the fuselage and found the fit to be poor as unde rsize by approximately 2mm.

20150614_174348_zpsgctvc1vc.jpg

The above was taken even after adding some aluminium tubing to expand things a little but need to spend some more time on this and get it right but before that I need to rectify the sharp edge around the fuselage engine cowl joint on the kit as Trumpeter have missed the fact that this area is curved inwards.

20150614_174437_zpsldlypcpo.jpg

This area will take some time to get right but will be a huge improvement to the look of the finished kit rather than using the under size kit parts.

Regards. Andy

Thanks for your comments Harv, Kev......was a little disappointed at the fit so had a few days away from it else I think it would of made its way to the shelf of doom and never to see the light of day but hate doing that these days and only ever try to work on one model at a time now. So after a bit of thought I played around with the aluminium brace length til I got it to a suitable length to stretch the width of the cowl sufficiently and then I began scrapping sanding the fuselage around the engine bulkhead area to try and achieve that rounded look which is missing on the Trumpeter kit.

20150616_213506_zps9ywdxbfx.jpg

20150616_213442_zpsuys3avni.jpg

Reasonably happy so far with this and a vast improvement over my last post, your comments very welcome as ever and thank you for looking.

Regards. Andy

Interesting build. 

A question on the Trumpy spinner. Is there a back plate on it as well? Because if it is I would say it's pretty close to Danny's resin version - just that it lacks the base.

Thank you for your positive comments guys, 

The Trumpy spinner does have a back plate Kyrre, here is a shot of the spinner included in the Fawcett resin update set I am using, it still needs a fair bit of cleaning up yet though but looks pretty good I think.

Regards. Andy

Would love to say I had a fun night at the bench but in reality it wasn't, tedious but necessary as I need to get the cockpit protected before I start cleaning up the fuselage joints.

20150619_203658_zpsqpush1oa.jpg

In the meantime I have been talking to Brian Fawcett who was concerned with the fit issues I was having with the engine cowl/fuselage joint and he felt after looking at things his end I had a set where the resin had shrunk and this morning as promised a complete new cowl assembly arrived and after a very quick dry fit this was confirmed with a very nice snug fit to the fuselage.

20150619_203921_zpsrnwxmcg5.jpg

Excellent service indeed and all I can say is this is a must have update set for anyone building this kit.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Have managed to make some good progress this weekend, cockpit all masked off, fuselage seams all sorted and wings now on.

20150628_154532_zpsq9tixhei.jpg

20150628_154555_zpsh7zf2nkg.jpg

As you can see I have a very large gap to fill in the wing joint, its the same on each wing both upper and lower, this is after lots of trimming/dry fitting as to begin with the gap was like the grand canyon........a great shame as otherwise the fit on this kit is great.

Also have got the wheel spats together, need a little more filling in a couple of places and then add the missing rivit detail as it is missing on the resin parts, was planning on doing this at the same time as the nose section, quite important to add this as the kit has lovely restrained detail. Also added a Trumpeter wheel spat to show the size difference.

20150628_155110_zps8whqgfiq.jpg

The wheels are included in the Fawcett update set and are a huge improvement over the awful rubber kit items, I gace the wheels a quick coat of black before assembly which has got some damage now but this will be sorted later during the paintingweathering stage.

Thanks for looking and your comments are always very welcome.

Regards. Andy

Spent some time filling those awful gaps in the wing joints this evening......first with Green Stuff followed by Mr Dissolved Putty......all I can say is if you have never tried this stuff then you are missing something as it it sands beautifully and does not shrink like other solvent based fillers.

20150703_214519_zpsyqay963m.jpg

While working on this I started on the Prop by Henri Dahne which was very very kindly donated to this build from a fellow modeler stateside whom I have never met before......blown away by his generosity and yet another reason why I love LSP above all other forums. 

20150702_202018_zpsqg3v5ysn.jpg

This is a kit in itself to be honest with the most amazing smoothly cast resin I have ever seen.....a word of caution though is that if you do not have a set of vernier calipers it will make for a difficult assembly as tolerences are very tight as well as plenty of cutting/ sanding required on some parts, however coupled with the excellent instructions and the right tools this is joy to build.

20150703_212808_001_zpszssvrlje.jpg

So far that's 15 parts to the build of the prop and looks so good, checked the fit against the Brian Fawcett update set and is a perfect f

Thanks for looking and comments and criticism always welcome..

Regards.Andy

Resin is so smooth it appears they were cast from a machined part.

'. . . very kindly donated to this build from a fellow modeler stateside . . . '

Don't be bashful.  Name names so we can thank him or her also.

Sincerely,

Mark

Small update this weekend......now managed to get her on her feet, I was hoping not to do this til final assembly but a bit of filing is required, when I checked the fit of the Trumpeter part compared to the resin update part there was no difference and is just down to the oversize recess in the Trumpeter wings which in reality is then down to the poor fit of the wings causing the knock on effect.

20150705_163804_zpssmo1ii5o.jpg

I also had to shim the top of the wheel spat with 10 thou card otherwise they sat to deep into the wing and just looked plain wrong and would have been a nightmare to fill and look correct.

20150705_163730_zpsqxzr6ezr.jpg

Hopefully get the nose section on this week followed by the final small detail stuff then its of to the paint shop hopefully.

Regards. Andy