Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Managed to mask off the tailband in a somewhat acceptable fashion. It was incredibly difficult. It will be ready for Humbrol 90 Sky once I finish masking off the rest of the tail. As you will see on the coming pictures, I am very afeared of overspray.

vjyTCTR.jpg

FmhJt0r.jpg

Yeeeeaah... not risking any overspray here, nuh-uh.

AFoBh1Z.jpg

Humbrol 24 had a bit better coverage than I expected. It was also touch-dry before I could finish cleaning my airbrush, so I shot another 2 thin coats. I will do one final coat tomorrow.

84L2L1B.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Yeah, that yellow adds something extra to the overall scheme.

Indeed - the real life counterpart must have been a proper eyecatcher! Thanks for stopping by!

Nice going on the tailband.  I agree, the yellow adds some nice contrast.

Gaz

Thank you Gazzas! I'm loving this scheme.

EDIT: Hummm.... it looks like I'll have to put the kit on hold? The Humbrol 35 gloss varnish I bought last month is just... goo. Jelly. It was brand new; unopened... so a very unpleasant surprise. :( I'm not sure if I want to risk putting that into my airbrush cup and adding thinner for about half an hour...

Edited by Sparzanza

That sure does look nice.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you sir! Against my better judgement, I will be trying out my brand new Humbrol 35 to glosscoat her... even though it has the consistency of jelly. Hoping Humbrol's thinner will show it who's boss.

Postponing the glosscoat some more, I decided to paint the filler caps red, as instructed by... the instructions. They're probably going to need another coat of Humbrol 60, but quite happy with my freehand painting thus far.

FM1qDif.jpg

T9AavNw.jpg

Also included a bit better picture of the tailband.

cco5o8c.jpg

Good news and bad news. The good news is that the Humbrol 35, while thick as jello, was successfully thinned in my airbrush cup with copious amounts of thinner. It sprayed fine. When I was done with the first coat for the Mustang, I still had half a cup left, for some reason. So I glosscoated my tank and 1/48 Me262 as well. This is the P51 after one coat of Humbrol 35 gloss varnish:

rNpMViZ.jpg

giWrxiH.jpg

The bad news are that the spot I mended on the tailband, where I found a tiny strand of hair that I gently sanded off, then dabbed some more Humbrol 90 on top to cover up the damage... is extremely visible. I will have to figure out a way to mend this, as I cannot stand looking at it. I have a bad feeling that this will be the kits Achilles heel; that the entire kit will go down the drain when trying to adress this. But we will see. I hope this is just paranoia.

Y'all probably won't see it that clearly because of the bad picture, but the spot is there alright - ever so little brighter than the rest of the tailband:

njQuCfH.jpg

just caught up with this mate, she looks great

Thank you Mark!

I'm having a few concerns regarding the Mustang, ladies and gentlemen...

The glosscoat. It is still tacky in a couple of spots? While in other places it is high gloss and rockhard & dry. What causes this? Is there any hope for it ever curing? I don't want to end up throwing it in the trash like I did with my Trumpeter 1/24 Focke-Wulf D9. Its glosscoat hadnt fully cured even after 3 years. :(

Some encouraging words would really help now...

The glosscoat is Humbrol 35 from their regular tin cans. Stirred thoroughly before spraying, heavily thinned (Humbrol enamel thinner) due to it having the consistency of jelly. Sprayed at 25 psi.

Is it because I keep my window open often and let all that cold air in?

Edited by Sparzanza

Could be that is the problem (window open). Cold damp air can cause an effect called "blooming". If a further coat is applied before the previous one has fully dried (this doesn't appear to happen in a dry slightly warmer, 65f , atmosphere). It may eventually cure in a drier, warmer room.

Hope this helps.

Bob. 

Could be that is the problem (window open). Cold damp air can cause an effect called "blooming". If a further coat is applied before the previous one has fully dried (this doesn't appear to happen in a dry slightly warmer, 65f , atmosphere). It may eventually cure in a drier, warmer room.

Hope this helps.

Bob. 

Thanks for the tip. I will apply one more coat once I mended the tailband.