Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Second glosscoat sprayed. I will not be giving it any more gloss, even though it gave me a funny texture in a couple of spots. Will not be attempting to correct it. I shall pray to the gods that this coat cures, as I experimented a little by following Airfix/Humbrol advice to the letter and sprayed it thick enough to give a smooth finish, but not allowing it to start acting... runny. This is what caused some of the weird spots, but I am going to ignore them and hope they will vanish after the satin coat that will be shot on top of the decals.

If this doesn't cure, then... I guess it'll be the trashbin next. At least I won't have to worry about glosscoating the bottom of it.

I am feeling mildly paranoid and depressed, haha.

My camera failed to capture the texture it gave me on the rudder (and some on the left wring); it's not orange peel, but .. just weird. Never seen anything like it.

FKcZcD8.jpg

Sparz it looks great so far. I lol'd at your fear of overspray but I totally understand.

Next build with a tail band try painting the band on first then mask the band. It's a lot less

masking and has the added benefit of not having to spray a light color like white or yellow

over the darker camouflage tones.

Sparz it looks great so far. I lol'd at your fear of overspray but I totally understand.

Next build with a tail band try painting the band on first then mask the band. It's a lot less

masking and has the added benefit of not having to spray a light color like white or yellow

over the darker camouflage tones.

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking of doing that, and with the yellow as well. Not entirely sure why I didn't.

Brainfart?

Thanks sandokan.

Getting rid of all the airbubbles proves more difficult than I anticipated... and I made a small couple of chips in the paint in the process. Having a sharp blade does that.

Hopefully I can touch it up with some paint, but Humbrol has a nasty habit of drying in a different tone/shade/whatever the english word is in such situations, even though it comes from the exact same tin.

Decaling continues. I have gotten rid of most of the airbubbles. Applied a handful of stencils.

f27R4RP.jpg

IKEeFdc.jpg

The Y2 markings on this side is one large decal film. No silvering. The other side wasn't as lucky. While I did eventually manage to get rid of the film between the Y and the 2, I had managed to do some damage to the paint. I did not photograph this as I am a bit ashamed. A rookie mistake. I really hope I can fix it.

I84WSAi.jpg

At least the wing roundels is starting to conform properly around the... thing... on the wing. Whatever it is. It has taken quite a lot of MicroSol for them to do this.

TxMONAl.jpg

The red L thing at the bottom of the wing, which I gather indicates the area of which the pilot is allowed to step on, was also supplied as decal. It seems to be printed at an awkward angle though, as I can't get it to sit right for the life of me. I decided to mask off and paint these instead. Were these L's on both wings? Does anyone know?

Almost done with the decals. Couldn't help myself; had to do some mocking up of her to get a glimpse of the finishing line.

And I'd still like to know whether I should paint this red thing on both wings? I'd appreciate quick replies...

9lUQBvu.jpg

I was curious myself so I went looking.  Amazing how many more pictures there are of the left wing than right wing.  Modellers have done both wings many times, but in the pictures I saw of real planes, there was nothing on the right wing.  I can't claim definitive knowledge...  I was just curious myself.

Looking good!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas