Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

I would say definitely not the starboard wing, but I'm not even sure about the port wing...since the Mustangs were repainted in the UK in Ocean Grey and Dark Green and may have covered that marking. I'll see if I can find a definitive answer in a couple of minutes...

FsHP5LU.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I would say definitely not the starboard wing, but I'm not even sure about the port wing...since the Mustangs were repainted in the UK in Ocean Grey and Dark Green and may have covered that marking. I'll see if I can find a definitive answer in a couple of minutes...

FsHP5LU.jpg

Thank you Palimaka, much appreciated!

I know it's a restoration but the Vintage Wings of Canada P-51, marked as above (Y2-C), doesn't have the red "L" / step here on either wing root.

What of the original Y2-B? :D

Edited by Sparzanza

So I looked at a few photos of camouflaged RAF Mustang IVs, and I've got no clear answer. I've seen RAF Mustangs with and without the marking on the port (left) wing. They are definitely on the port wing of the bare metal Mustangs. Interestingly enough, I saw some Mustang IIIs with the "L" on the flaps on both sides.

SO, sorry if this confused you even more...

But, bottom line, if I were you I might put one on, but only on the left flap.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

I think I did manage to mend the paint chips on the lefthand side of the fuselage, where I had gotten a bit too enthusiastic with my Xacto blade when removing decal film between the Y and the 2. I mixed some Humbrol 116 green with some Humbrol 35 gloss varnish and just filled in the gaps of grey plastic with a fine brush. The surface isn't perfect, but at least it's one solid color now. I reckon I can hide some of the damage further by painting some chips with the help of Humbrol 11 aluminium. Next step will be to mask off the "L" on the left flap and shoot some red... with perhaps some white first. This will be done with Tamiya acrylics, however. I bought some basic colors a while back.

I also realised I had forgotten to glosscoat the canopy framing, and since I didn't want to risk it looking different than the rest of the yellow once the final varnish is on, I painted the gloss on with a brush.

DpKJ76T.jpg

A bonus picture - look what has rejoined me on the modelling table! More on that in my Spitfire thread.

uaF3jk2.jpg

Well, most of the stencils are not even visible. But some are, and I like how they pop on the bright surfaces. I tried snapping some pictures. I also did some wetsanding on the wings as some spots had a texture reminiscent of sandpaper, so I smoothed that out.

Next step will be cleaning up any MicroSol/MicroSet residue around the decals with soap and water, then a thin glosscoat over everything in preparation for some pinwashing.

KraAHuD.jpg

IbJS6mf.jpg

lsaiylU.jpg

hHrKkUk.jpg

j3aUjyV.jpg

aAq2FxB.jpg

vhPnZ80.jpg