1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

Hi gang!

As I posted previously, I was expecting some tricky bits while assembling the fuselage and I was not disappointed!

2 tips for anyone following along with a view to building this great kit.... After building a few Tamiya 1/12 kits when it was time to cut the 1.4mm tube for the rear I just copied the length from the plans instead of measuring out the 19mm length.... big mistake! the plans are only 13mm. Also the hole in the PE is not large enough and needs to be drill out to 1.4mm. This I had not checked and was then faced with the delicate job of drilling through the very hard stainless steel PE once the 2 fuselage half's were (mostly) glued together....

I haven't cleaned off the excess CA yet, I am going to wait a bit longer and do a larger amount in 1 go. (I'm sure to get CA all over the show before too long)

P1030987.jpg

P1030988.jpg

I don't have any photos from the assemble, I was kinda preoccupied and had run out of hands too!

P1030989.jpg

P1030990.jpg

P1030991.jpg

P1030992.jpg

P1030993.jpg

P1030994.jpg

P1030996.jpg

My work is by no means perfect, far from it really! and the camera of course shows up bits that I have not seen.

This is about as far as I can go right now, because I am waiting for some gauges to arrive from Air Scale. The biggest let down with this kit is the complete lack of instrument decals or acetate sheet, all you get is a (badly) printed piece that you are suppose to cut out of the instructions..... something that just will not do in a skeleton kit (well for me at least).

My next step will be the seat belts, I have purchased a set from HGW and to my surprise, they are not the laser cut ones (guess who didn't look at the web site correctly) :doh:

These look to be very fiddly and my eyes are just not up to the task tonight!

As always I am looking forward to everyone's feedback!

Edited by Fooesboy

Absolutely awesome work, Chris! Installing the cockpit frames and skin is one of the trickiest parts of this build and yours looks flawless. Ditto the stunning cockpit as well!

Hard to believe that this is only your fourth aircraft. It looks like a masterpiece to me

Sorry I've been out of pocket for a while.

Keep up the great work.

John

Hi John,

Good to see you back, and hopefully with an Zero update too???? :innocent:

Getting this step done was quite a challenge, especially when IMCTH are not very clear in their instructions which order the formers need to be placed. I started at the front and worked my way back very, very slowly. No CA kicker was used, just apply the CA with a toothpick, clamp/tape and walk away. Then in 5 minutes work on the next former.

Thanks Geedubelyer,

I have never built any armour either so the whole worn / weathered look is something that I am still experimenting with. I have tried to get a dusty look around the battery but it just looks wrong, after a bit of reading I think that I need to try pigment powder....

Thank you for the kind comment on the floorboards, I am very happy how they turned out in the end... touch and go for a bit, at one stage I thought that I was going to have to strip and re-do them. I have ended up with the worn area just a touch too rearwards for my liking but I will live with it.

• 5 months later...

After moving house and having to rebuild my new hobby room, a process that has taken over 5 months, today I was finally able to unpack the Mustang!  :piliot:

Had quite a big moment when I couldn't find the fuselage, I looked high and low, through many, many boxes... lots of panicking :frantic: lots more looking, a bit of swearing.... you get the idea... I finally found it and I am very happy to report no damage in transit!

Spent some time reading through the instructions again and looking at the parts to see where I was up to and that has left me with just enough time to finish up the seat belts.

P1030997.jpg

P1030998-Copy.jpg

Just a small up date, but I sure am glad to be back at the bench!

Edited by Fooesboy

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Nice to see you are back at the bench and working on the Mustang again. Seat and belts look great.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Great to see you back at the Mustang, Chris.

I just spent some time looking over this whole build thread, and I am again so impressed with the work you are doing on the 'Stang.  Meticulous, detailed, and with a great eye for art, I think.  It's amazing to know that this is only your 4th airplane model.

Your seatbelts look fantastic!  Honestly, I wish you would post a tutorial on how you did yours; I think we could all benefit.  Still wondering how you managed to get the stitching so well defined and colored.

Keep up the great work.  You're getting me inspired to get a start on the Zero, but I've got to finish a Tamiya Corsair I'm working on.  Hmmm....I guess maybe I should be doing a build thread.   :hmmm:

John