1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

Hi Guys,

I want to dedicate this update to Peter from Airscale....

After spending far too long reading his Tigercat build thread ( http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=52370&hl= ) and his new Spitfire thread ( http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61418&hl= ) links added for reference for future readers who might not be aware. I find it very easy to be demotivated trying to reach the standards set, this time I said to myself "you can do it" and I have thrown caution to the wind.......

Now, this is NOTHING like the standard set by Peter, but it is completely inspired by what he (and others) can do with a few bits of brass.

What I needed to do was fit the aftermarket resin tail wheel to the IMCTH casting.

P1040932.jpg

At first thought, this was going to be easy! Just cut the cast hub off, drill a 1mm hole in the arm and attach the wheel.

When I pulled out my razor saw to do just that I realized that the weight of the finished model would be far to great for such a small join to hold.

The solution I came up with after reading the above threads was to scratch build a new oleo and arm. Brass was chosen, I took a deep breath and this is what followed.

P1040933.jpg

It is mage up from 1x 2mm rod, 1x 1.3mm rod, 1x 1mm tube, 1x 0.5mm rod and 4 photoetched washers.

P1040934.jpg

My Mk.I eyeball was used for setting the angle, and an shape (double bevel I think) was filed in the end of the 1.3mm rod that I had slightly flattened to give an oval shape to the arm.

P1040935.jpg

Wheel test fitted in place, does anyone have a photo of how the wheel is attached on the other side of this arm?

P1040935.jpg

Next I used some aluminium tape cut into thin (0.8mm) strips and double wrapped around the oleo.

P1040935.jpg

P1040938.jpg

And with the wheel dry fitted.

P1040939.jpg

I have a long way to go before I'm going to try and scratch build a whole aircraft, but overall I'm very happy with my first attempt at building something from brass.

THANK YOU Peter for pushing the boundary's of what is possible for a scale modeler and inspiring us to do better with our own builds!  :bow:

Edited by Fooesboy

After looking at the macro photos blown up on the computer screen I saw that my work was looking a little rough so I thought it would be interesting to have a size comparison.....

Here is the tail wheel piece held up to my computer screen, helps me keep my imperfections under control.... otherwise my OCD starts going off..... :frantic:

P1040940.jpg

Edited by Fooesboy

Great work, Chris. I'm really enjoying the updates.

It's a shame that IMCTH won't be releasing any more kits like this (Anyone, please feel free to correct me on this.) as I was rather hoping for a Spitfire or a Stuka.

Regardless, you're providing plenty of inspiration.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Glad you are enjoying the updates.

I have not idea if IMCTH will do anymore kits or not, but there 4th and last release was just last year.

I'm sure that these kits take a huge amount of time to develop to the point where they are buildable by average modellers like me.

Wouldn't it be great if they were to do a Spitfire, or even better a Corsair!

Hi Guys,

Time for another small update!

Tail is finished except for the tail wheel assembly, I need more info in the colors for this area.

P1040941.jpg

P1040942.jpg

A few fiddly bits, but very build-able. Care must be taken with the trim tabs, just a lick or two with a file and they fit very well.

I thought everyone might like to see the sub-assemblies together to get a feel for how I'm progressing.

P1040943.jpg

Next stage is assembling the engine bearer's, fitting and plumbing the engine then onto final assembly.

An overview of parts yet to be used.... starting to get down.

P1040944.jpg

Still plenty to do but starting to feel optimistic! :D

Edited by Fooesboy

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Magnanimous work, simply inspiring.  I'm still recovering ... the tail wheel assembly is perfect.

Seams the Bug is infectious ... sure seems on my next build; The Mirage IIIc, I'll be tagging along and trying to raise the builds bar a bit as well.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys, I really feel as if I have some momentum behind me now.

Looking ahead the last tricky part will be attaching the last 9 hoses from that solder wire.

I have run into another small snag, that is part F48 has been miss-cast. I have been debating whether to use it or try and get a replacement. After some careful consideration I have decided that it would be a shame to use this part as it is and have just contacted IMCTH to see if I can get a new replacement.

P1040946.jpg

P1040945.jpg

The other detail that I would like to add is the decals for the propeller, would any of you fine gentlemen have some spare or could point me to an aftermarket supplier of such decals?

Edited by Fooesboy

Hi Guys,

I am pleased to report that IMCTH sent me an email yesterday saying that a new part will be sent out shortly.

So glad as this part is right out in the open and will be very visible on the completed model.

With any luck I will get a good chunk of time to spend on the Mustang over the weekend.