1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

I have been lucky enough to have had pretty much the whole weekend to work on the Mustang, although I don't seam to have much to show.

Because I am using the Eduard PE set for the Tamiya kit I have had to spend quite a bit of time looking at all 3 sets of instructions... I think that I must be a little crazy to be adding PE to a PE kit :help:

P1030920.jpg

I have also been experimenting with the AK Interactive heavy chipping fluid, I'm still not sure if I like the look. :hmmm:

I'm going for a used but not abused look, at this stage I will contnue with these parts as they are but will be thinking very seriously about re-painting. :doh:

P1030921.jpg

P1030922.jpg

P1030923.jpg

I'm really not very happy with the firewall, the tray the radio sits on and the cockpit side walls... just looks too over done to my eyes but I would appreciate some feedback.

P1030924.jpg

P1030925.jpg

P1030927.jpg

I am hoping that the wash and detail painting will help.

P1030928.jpg

The radiator is coming along nicely, all I have done here is put the white metal parts through the magnetic polisher then primed with the Tamiya clear, then a wash with AK Interactive landing gear wash and the engine wash.

P1030926.jpg

The wings are just about done, 1 last fiddly bit to glue....

Thanks for looking in!

Chris

Edited by Fooesboy

Hmmmm....

Well, I'm certainly sold on the AK Interactive chipping stuff.  It looks like it works very well.

Chris, I think that some areas look absolutely perfect as they are because they are high wear items like the rudder pedals and the edge of the cockpit coaming.  The back of the firewall and the base where the radio sits are overdone, I think, and I would be surprised to see much, if any, chipping on the yellow tanks at all.  The cockpit sidewalls should, IMHO, show more wear than the bottoms, so I think the lower portions need to be 'de-weathered' a bit.

You know, though, all of this is strictly a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong answer.  So my opinions are merely my opinions, not a criticism at all, and I hope you take it that way.

Your radiator work has really paid off and it looks fantastic, as does the whole effort.

Can't wait to see more.

John

Hmmmm....

Well, I'm certainly sold on the AK Interactive chipping stuff.  It looks like it works very well.

Chris, I think that some areas look absolutely perfect as they are because they are high wear items like the rudder pedals and the edge of the cockpit coaming.  The back of the firewall and the base where the radio sits are overdone, I think, and I would be surprised to see much, if any, chipping on the yellow tanks at all.

You know, though, all of this is strictly a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong answer.  So my opinions are merely my opinions, not a criticism at all, and I hope you take it that way.

John

Thanks John for your input, there sure are parts that HAVE TO be re-done, the firewall and radio base for sure.

I quite like the look of the yellow tanks and had thought that they would be items that were either removed or at least refilled on a regular basis hence the heavy chipping... but I must confess to not having a clue what the tanks are for. If they are fire suppressant then I guess that there would be almost no weathering at all.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Christ

Awesome and stunning progress on the Mustang. I keep telling John 'someday' but I know my limits. For me, it' a matter of following and enjoying.

Keep 'em comiong

Peter

Thanks Peter,

but I think you are underestimating your abilities or way over estimating the complexity of these IMCTH kits. The build has been far easier than any of the resin conversions I have attempted, most of the white metal has had a fit as good as a modern Tamiya kit, in fact I have just found the first piece that has required any filler at all!

I would say if someone has built a couple of Tamiya 1/32 kits and has added after market PE (Eduard sets) then they would be able to build an IMCTH kit.

If someone has build a short run resin kit, or fitted a resin cockpit, wheel wells, gun bays, engine etc to a kit, used a Big Ed set then an IMCTH kit would be a "walk in the park"

just do it!    :whistle:

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Not an update so to say... more justifying why there is no update.... :huh:

Decided to "get away" for a bit and shot down to Turangi to do a bit of fishing on the Tongariro river.

Trout%204_zpsbhe5inz8.jpg

Edited by Fooesboy

• 5 weeks later...

Hi gang,

Well August disappeared at an alarming rate with no chance to get anywhere near the work bench so I've been living my modeling life vicariously though the amazing builds that are going on, but now I'm finally back at the Mustang!

Most of my time has been spent stripping paint and redoing the green in the cockpit.

I'm not very good at the whole detail painting however I'm reasonably happy with this attempt.

Most of the parts are just dry fitted together so that I could get a feel for where I am.... hope you all like it.

P1030978.jpg

P1030979.jpg

P1030981.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome! :)

Edited by Fooesboy

Thanks John for your input, there sure are parts that HAVE TO be re-done, the firewall and radio base for sure.

I quite like the look of the yellow tanks and had thought that they would be items that were either removed or at least refilled on a regular basis hence the heavy chipping... but I must confess to not having a clue what the tanks are for. If they are fire suppressant then I guess that there would be almost no weathering at all.

Chris

Chris,

The tanks youre speaking of, if I understand correctly, are high and low pressure O2 tanks found at just about midships. They would show little wear since they are refilled externally via a port on the left side of the fuselage hence eliminating the need for removal and/or handling.

On a separate note, Your tenacity and skill during assembly is noteworthy. Lovely work thus far. Please continue to share...

Best

Geoff

I'm glad you like my work Kev, this is only my 4th aircraft and first in 1/32. I have a looooong way to go to reach the level of the average build here, let alone to the quality of the pro's that I aspire to reach, but hey, you gotta start somewhere right?

It's really easy to get intimidated following some of the builds but I try and put that to one side and do the best I can with the skills I currently have...  :whistle:

Thanks for the awesome link MARU5137!

I'm off to the workshop shortly to chip away at the cockpit so your post is timed perfectly. Such a shame that there is no war time imagery like this!

Almost time to start on fuselage assembly, looking ahead in the instructions there seams to be a couple of tricky bits to come....