1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Work on this level takes time. Just enjoy the journey and we'll be right with you

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Guys,

The next major milestone on this build has been reached.... The fuselage assembly stage is complete.

Overall I am a little disappointed with my workmanship, manly I have not been as clean and precise with my CA application as I would have liked but at least I have done it to the best of my current ability.

Getting the coolant lines in was much trickier than I had thought and like most things, by the time the last one was in I was getting the hang of it.

A tip for anyone following along, take the supplied solder and run it over the handle of a xacto knife and your thumb. Use lost of pressure and constantly rotate the solder. This will get all the kinks out and look much better, I had not done this with the first few and it shows. Fortunately for me, the bulk of the pipe work will be hidden from view.

P1040914.jpg

I have chosen to display the coolant flaps open, I'm not sure if this strictly accurate. I can't recall seeing any photos with the flaps open while on the ground, I just felt like having the detail visible.

P1040915.jpg

P1040916.jpg

Next up is the tail assembly, I have put all the white metal pieces through the magnetic polisher.

Then I decided to try and open up the holes in the bottom of the rudder, as this piece comes from IMCTH it looks too chunky.

P1040911.jpg

Very carefully, drill a 1mm pilot hole in the middle of each molded roundel from each side.

P1040912.jpg

Take each 1mm hole through to the middle.

Then gradually increase the diameter up to the full size required adjusting the center point as needed.

P1040913.jpg

Just needs a good polish and can then be clear coated.

Edited by Fooesboy

Superb work, Chris.

Your fuselage looks brilliant and your hard work shows.  I think your pipes look very, very good.  I don't recall mine looking nearly that good, and it took me 3 attempts before I was really happy with how they were installed.  

Bravo on opening up the lightening holes in the rudder piece.  You are absolutely right, that piece does look 'chunky' without the holes drilled out and looks really, really good after the work you did on it.  A polish is going to make that piece look so good on the aircraft.

You are coming right along and I can't see anywhere that looks like the CA was done with a heavy hand.

Looking forward to your next update!

John

Hi Guys,

The next major milestone on this build has been reached.... The fuselage assembly stage is complete.

P1040914_zpsxkpqis8w.jpg

that looks fantastic! like a manufacturers manual come to life..

really, really nice job - it must be a very challenging build but I think you are knocking it out the park :)

Peter

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I am really enjoying the build, it has it's challenging bits but no where near as hard as it looks.

I have made a decent start on the tail last night, have assembled it slightly out of sequence as it made more sense to me this way.

P1040917.jpg

P1040918.jpg

P1040919.jpg

P1040920.jpg

It certainly feels good to be this far along but I have realized that I will soon have to tackle the "black lump" and try and get the engine to look used.

Edited by Fooesboy

Chris,

I am late to the party, but very nice work all around!

Having worked with white metal a great deal, I'm glad you found out about the magnetic polisher. Its a nightmare without it.

This kit is very intriguing to me and I am guessing that you would recommend it?

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

The magnetic polisher is an amazing tool, I'm so very glad to have made the investment.

Looking at the type of kits that are attracting my interest the most at the moment, they all seam to contain a lot of white metal....

I'm curious... what is the 1/12 97T that is on your bench?... is it the MFH kit? any chance of a photo or 2?

The IMCTH kit gets the two thumbs up from me, the white metal has been cast by MFH and the PE fits together well (for the most part). When I stumbled across this type of kit I just fell in love with the whole idea, I am building this Mustang as a precursor / practice before I tackle the DeAgostini 1/16 Zero.

Would I recommend it? You bet! It is no were near as hard to assemble as it looks, I would love to see someone with real modelling talent give this a nudge....

Hi Rocky,

The magnetic polisher is an amazing tool, I'm so very glad to have made the investment.

Looking at the type of kits that are attracting my interest the most at the moment, they all seam to contain a lot of white metal....

I'm curious... what is the 1/12 97T that is on your bench?... is it the MFH kit? any chance of a photo or 2?

The IMCTH kit gets the two thumbs up from me, the white metal has been cast by MFH and the PE fits together well (for the most part). When I stumbled across this type of kit I just fell in love with the whole idea, I am building this Mustang as a precursor / practice before I tackle the DeAgostini 1/16 Zero.

Would I recommend it? You bet! It is no were near as hard to assemble as it looks, I would love to see someone with real modelling talent give this a nudge....

Chris,

Many thanks and I have two of the 97's from MFH, I could not resist the rain tires so I ordered a second one. I will send you some pics once I get settled in. However, I made major modifications, which cost me much hair!

I made my own pulleys and things on my lathe and mill.

And thanks to you, I just ordered the P-51!

Rocky

Glad to have been of some assistance, if only to lighten your pocket!   :innocent:

I sure would enjoy it if you were to find the time to post your build. If you have any questions let me know or I'm sure John (the IMCTH guru) would also be happy to help.

The 2 additions I believe are the most prominent are better seatbelts and the Airscale instruments, the brass barrels and resin tyres are also right up there.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, it must look a lot nicer in the photos because it looks like a sloppy, gluey mess when I'm holding onto it.... :shrug:

Do any of you P-51 buffs have an image of the tail wheel assembly? My fumbling's with google turn up lots of RC planes and models....