Big Bad Bonnie.....1/32 HK B-25 glass nose DISASTER STRIKES

gunpowder

Big Bad Bonnie was the first B-25 i ever saw flying. It must have been after it was in Catch 22 as it had the desert tan sprayed ove the olive drab. It was at Stapleford airfield in Essex. There was also Spencer Flacks G-fury and G-fire , Lyndsay Waltons "messershmitt" and Corsair amongst others. A few months back i found an issue of Aeroplane monthly from August 1978 with and Article on the film Hanover street. That started me off on the hunt for a glass nose b-25. Thanks to ebay i found this one.

I will be using Kitsworld decals , profimodeller nose weight , Brassin wheels and the SAC u/c legs. Its been great fun so far, These were well used TB-25s they used for the film with water based paint on the outsides , but im assuming ratty on the insides , so it been guess work painting the interior. I have seen all sorts of greens on the interior in photos so i thought i would mix and match a bit!

bbb1_zpsb2ae2d6f.jpg

bbb6_zps3730acfb.jpg

Im not adding any extra detail to the interior. I have used the kit guns and ammo belts for the waist and tail positions , but im guessing they would have been basic wooden mock ups. The bomb bay has been great for weathering.I sprayed it Tamiya Yellow green then used salt granules to mask before over spraying with my own mix of Interior green. Some chipping was then added followed by a dirty black wash. Again this has been guess work. I know they were originally bare metal , but the photos i have seen has BBB with interior green bomb doors , so i guessed the bomb bay would be the same.

bbb7_zpsb749e177.jpg

bbb8_zps9d4aef8b.jpg

bbb9_zpsf42f7d2a.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

The hardest part so far has been the carb intakes. The kit ones are B-25J and are smaller than the TB-25 , so i have had to modify / scratchbuild new ones. I didnt want to damage the surrounding areas so i removed the whole intake from the wing. This made it easier to work on too. I built the height up with plasitcard , made a rectangular intake and blended it all in. There is also some kind of outlet on the rear of the intake that i had to cut out. They are not perfect but good enough for me. I have stared at too many close ups of carb intakes in the last few days.

Heres the basic new shape

bbb2_zps96bd3c56.jpg

bbb3_zps854182c7.jpg

Heres the other one fixed to the wing

bbb4_zps578c3d39.jpg

Im sure they will need tweaking a bit more later on.

All taped together to see how it looks.

bbb5_zps500e68d3.jpg

I have the Terry Dean set, but didnt even use it. I found that some of the #9 lead shot i have on hand worked much better. Im not 100% that it would have even been enough. I dont know how the profimodeller set compares though, as I havnt really spoken to anyone who has used it.