Revell Spitfire built as a Mk 1a

monthebiff

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to start painting this bird now after a couple of full on weeks at work, preshade done, thought I'd try adding some random XF-52 sqiggles after my usual pre shade and see what happens, also preshaded the  white section of the underside with  XF-52.

IMG_20150301_121129_zpsomphyrx6.jpg

IMG_20150301_121239_zpsn2kjj7kv.jpg

IMG_20150301_141658_zpsxruxgzpq.jpg

Was'nt sure if the white looked "white enough" to begin with but think its about right, now just pondering how to make sure the black portion is not "to black" now. Comments/criticism always welcome.

Regards Andy

Guest Peterpools

Andy

Nice work with the pre-shading .. Your Spit is going to look fantastic.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Had a fun day getting the decals on, I used an EagleCals set and went for DW-Q, I'm a sucker for those oversize roundels and code letter's, I think they look so good on the early spit's.

IMG_20150307_194242_zpsz0pnakam.jpg

IMG_20150307_194306_zpsv17waon5.jpg

Man those decals are thick and took a huge amount of settling down which is really unusual for EagleCals, comments and criticism always welcome. Regards Andy.

Guest Peterpools

Awesome cammo and decal work ... sure looks mighty good from my end. I've used Eagle Cals decals a number of times and found them to be quite thin and laid down perfectly.  Hopefully nothing is changing.

Keep 'em coming

'Peter

Thanks Peter, I agree with you, I jumped at these decals as I've used Eagle Cals  loads of times without issue but this time they where quite hard work to settle.......that being the roundels, tail flashes and large codes, the stencil data performed perfectly as you would expect from Eagle Cals though. 

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Well unfortunately disaster has struck!!!........bit of a bad day at the bench really, after a coat of future last week I proceeded with a coat of flory wash first thing this morning......so far so good until I removed the excess this evening and ended up with this in places around some of the decals......

IMG_20150403_211649_zpsq0clq3di.jpg

IMG_20150403_211657_zpseeq2yeoa.jpg

As you can see some very nasty milky patches have appeared around some decals whers large quantities of setting solution where used, I always spray using Tamiya acrylics, followed by future and then decals followd by more future then the flory wash.......never had this happen before but any clues to where I went wrong would be very helpful guys........also I really want to move away from future on my next build but not sure which gloss coat to use.

Thank you for looking and your comments are most welcome. Regards Andy.

This only happens to me when I haven't let the clear coat dry long enough (or forgetting to clean up setting solution before clearcoating). I hope you can fix it, because it's looking very good so far.

Edited by Sparzanza

I've had future turn white (which is a big reason why I don't use it any more) and a few years back one of the modelers in my club told me to use ammonia on those cloudy areas  in the same manner as getting rid of the visible decal film by puncturing it with a pin or something similar and letting the ammonia seep underneath.  I tried it and it worked.  If you try it, do it on a relatively small area as a test.  I'm not exactly sure your problem is the same as what I had but I will say, my issue was not under the decal or near it. That and ammonia is kind of stinky so make sure you're well ventilated.

Edited by Juggernut

Hi Andy,

Sorry to see the issues you've encountered. I can't help with any explanation but hope that they clear up as Ron suggests they might. It is possible that a matt topcoat may tone the problem down somewhat if you're lucky.

On the plus side, the rivets look superb under a coat of paint and the decals appear to have settled down beautifully over the raised detail. Good job.

Going back to the previous issues. If it had happened to me I'd be looking to use weathering to disguise the appearance of the watermarks but your mileage may vary :frantic:

You're fast approaching the finish line on your Spitty, keep at it.

Cheers.