Airfix 1/24 Typhoon canopy replacement - good news

KOG7777

A while back, I purchased the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon and, like many others, discovered defects in the main portion of the clear canopy part.

I contacted Airfix's support email address and was able to secure a replacement canopy without much fuss. The replacement canopy was crack-free but still had some slight distortion. The Airfix customer support rep. apologized for the inconvenience and told me they were still trying to improve the part, and that I would receive another replacement later if they managed to correct the distortion.

Well, the great news is that I just received this new distortion-free replacement canopy in the mail just the other day. To my eye it looks pretty perfect. I would assume that other customers who reported issues with their canopy should also be getting these new replacements soon, if they haven't already.

And I would assume that future issues of the kit will include this new crack-free and distortion-free part.

Great job Airfix - really appreciate the customer service.

That's great news. When I contacted them to complain that my replacement was as bad as the original and then the replacement for the replacement was little better they replied that they were working on it and to please be patient hopefully they have it sorted out now. Will have to contact them again if people start getting blemish free ones in the mail.

This is good news!  I obtained two kits and also received two of the slightly better canopies, will wait and see if they automatically send some distortion free ones or if I need to ask for them again.

Thanks for the update!

On my kit the sprue with the canopy was completely missing. I contacted Airfix and after less than a week I received the canopy in the mail. It has some slight distortion in it but I can certainly live with it and it was crack free. Airfix has some really great customer service I must say.

/Stoffe

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my(final) replacement...and it is absolutely perfect..as a matter of fact it looks thinner than the original and crystal clear.

Kudos to Airfix for manning up on this...earned my unwavering respect.

Just ordered the new seat and props from Harold..have to find some rockets now,might even try to get started on it.

Edited by williamj

Anyone know if those who got a flawed canopy need to request another or will they just mail it from records of who the sent a replacement to, of course that's assuming they kept those records.

Chuck

Advised to ask again...squeaky wheel thing.

I got another kit from there second batch, and the blemish is still there, but not as bad.  Slightly better.  I feel that once glued in place, it won't be all that noticeable unless you really look hard for it.  So I'm not going to worry about it.

Best regards

Patrick