LSP main page - why stop at 2011?

ziggyfoos

KotY was discontinued after 2011 (due to lack of active member participation), and main page has never yet been changed to fill (with new material), what would be a huge void if it were removed. That's the word I get behind the scenes.

Every one seams to like the Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair, Lets make it kit of the year for 2012. We also can try to start the Kit Of The Year again?  Where was the Voting placed in the forums?  I'm fairly new to LSP and would like to participate in the voting. :innocent:

Cheers

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen.  Here is the last one.  Participation in the last three KOTY polls (2009, 2010 & 2011) was so low that us staff opted not to continue with them. They are a huge amount of work to compile, researching all the releases over the year the categories etc many wouldn't vote because they didn't own all the kits etc etc.

Too much work for to little return.  LSP_Matt prepared the 2009 poll and turn out was low, LSP_Kev did the 2010 poll and turn out was low, I did the 2011 poll and turn out was low so that pretty much killed the concept.

LSP_Ron

I always thought the KOTY polls/results were fun to look at. However, I can see how participation was limited. In my own situation, I find that I can't even come close to purchasing enough new kits every year to give myself an idea of what the "best" one is. Let's not even talk about BUILDING all of them! So, as much as I would love to participate in a poll such as that, I just don't feel qualified to give an educated vote. I would imagine that many here are of the same opinion. Sure, I have my favorite subjects, but that alone can't really be "kit" of the year, in my eyes. There's a lot more to it than just being a subject that I like.

Looking on the bright side, though, I'm actually happy that there are too many to choose from. Most of the dreams I had as a young modeler have come true, or been far exceeded. :speak_cool:

My .02

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I always thought the KOTY polls/results were fun to look at. However, I can see how participation was limited. In my own situation, I find that I can't even come close to purchasing enough new kits every year to give myself an idea of what the "best" one is. Let's not even talk about BUILDING all of them! So, as much as I would love to participate in a poll such as that, I just don't feel qualified to give an educated vote. I would imagine that many here are of the same opinion. Sure, I have my favorite subjects, but that alone can't really be "kit" of the year, in my eyes. There's a lot more to it than just being a subject that I like.

Looking on the bright side, though, I'm actually happy that there are too many to choose from. Most of the dreams I had as a young modeler have come true, or been far exceeded. :speak_cool:

My .02

John

Exactly why it is no more....

How about a featured Ready For Inspection member model of the month chosen by LSP staff? That would keep decision making about choice to those who have our best interests at heart. It would also bring to the forefront one of the best visual interests of this site "finished models". It would keep the site home page fresh and current. It also would not require the frequency of whats new section (dont lose that though). Just a suggestion.

Jon

How about a featured Ready For Inspection member model of the month chosen by LSP staff? That would keep decision making about choice to those who have our best interests at heart. It would also bring to the forefront one of the best visual interests of this site "finished models". It would keep the site home page fresh and current. It also would not require the frequency of whats new section (dont lose that though). Just a suggestion.

Jon

I tend to agree in part ... The front page needs something! ... even if it is kind of like a preview page - like a "What's inside" view of the forums, Kev's "Whats New" and the data base etc ... an introductory note by LSP Matt or Kev ... expand the sponsors banners?

just ditch the old stuff!! ...

Rog :)

... I think Kev's taking short breaths at the moment in between the prodigous updates and migration to the newer better server ...

lol sorry Matt ...

I'm not meaning to pile on the pressure ... just a bit of genuine feedback thats been swanning around in the back of my mind for a good 12 months or more - whenever I happen to visit the front page I just notice it, that's all :) ... I realise full well you guys have lots of other stuff to deal with!

Jon

As much as it may seem silly to fret about such things, I fear that singling out one particular model (or modeler), each month, may be perceived as some sort of elitist club, that overall, might have a negative impact on the membership as a whole.

I tend to agree in part ... The front page needs something! ... even if it is kind of like a preview page - like a "What's inside" view of the forums, Kev's "Whats New" and the data base etc ... an introductory note by LSP Matt or Kev ... expand the sponsors banners?

just ditch the old stuff!! ...

It does indeed need something, the question is, what exactly? That's something that we're still kicking around.

lol sorry Matt ...

I'm not meaning to pile on the pressure ... just a bit of genuine feedback thats been swanning around in the back of my mind for a good 12 months or more - whenever I happen to visit the front page I just notice it, that's all :) ... I realise full well you guys have lots of other stuff to deal with!

K1 tends to spend huge amounts of time on the site, revising, adding and creating links to new content all the time. In addition to the reviews he does, and overall maintenance (as well as a full time job), it can be somewhat overwhelming. If it were as simple as using an HTML editor and updating/changing stuff, I'd give it a run myself, but of course it is not really that simple. Not being a web guru like Kev, I've offered to help, but there's really not much I know how to do.

It's a perplexing problem, that's for sure

Thank you guys for all your hard work keeping the site running :bow: :bow:  I think I can speak for a lot of folks here. When we are down, We do not want to touch a model do to screwing it up. Or we don't have that Reference Photo or Part. We can come here to LSP see what is new and HELP. When we are down :(  we can build a model in our head with a fellow modelers work. :rolleyes:  to keep us sane.  This site has helped me out a lot with this A LOT. Also new friends Harv, Girlscanplay2 +Paul, Harold, YoungTiger, BGB, Nicholas, Derk, Bill and Kevin just a few to name

:party0023:

Cheers and thanks

Danny

I've had loose plans in my head for a revamp of the home page for quite some time now, but Matty has pretty neatly outlined the reasons why it hasn't happened yet. It will most likely consist of a combination of an automated version of What's New (providing links to the latest articles and reviews, etc), and a slideshow of model photos drawn randomly from our published articles. Or something like that.

Kev