Airfix 1/24 Typhoon inbox review

Sparzanza

Yes I agree, but Airfix are not stupid, they read the web, they will have seen the problem listed on a myriad of forums, they must have someone inspect the product, either at their contracted producer, or packaging company, or at the UK when they arrive.

The bags were not even sealed, so they have had the opportunity prior to despatch to examine a sample, what is the point of sending out defective parts with the same problem to replace defective parts, all that does is winds up the customers, no matter how well the complaints department works in addressing the issue.

It's costing them both money and future lost sales.

Guest Peterpools

Tony

Fully agree and why just not say they are fixing the molds or molding problem and when real corrected canopies are available, they will be mailed to any purchaser requesting one?

Peter

My canopy parts have the same flaws, that's the original ones in the kit and the replacements.

I find it a little "strange" that the sprue shown at Telford has the four sprue runners and is distortion free, and that the "How to build it" book actually comments how thin and distortion free the clear parts are, backed up with a picture of said good parts?

I have another two issues with my example, with misalignment of the mould halves on sprue's A and B and also a damaged wing lower section, where an operative has carved out a large lump of flash from the centre front section and taken a piece of the wing with them.

I have emailed Airfix, and await a response....

Got my second Typhoon today in contrast to the first one both canopies are buggered.

Canopy has distortion but worse is the crack running from the sprue connector point.

Not a flow line which I have seen but a crack.

The front center windscreen has a massive amount of distortion and both are unusable.

Hopefully Airfix come good.

People,

I received my second canopy this week still with a flaw. The good news, according to Airfix is that, they haven't been able to solve the problem completely as it exists. They are continuing to eliminate the dimple. It's great to see that they really want to get it right. Those folks thinking about a resin or vac formed canopy- hold on a bit longer.

Fully agree and why just not say they are fixing the molds or molding problem and when real corrected canopies are available, they will be mailed to any purchaser requesting one?

This has been sent to the Britmodeller site, by Hornby, with the agreement that it can be made generally available:-

"The canopy was designed to be super thin in line with what modellers prefer to see. There were some issues at manufacture – however by adjusting the tooling settings we have fixed the problem. In order to prevent delays in releasing the kit, we ordered plenty of spare parts and are sending them to everyone who requests one. Anyone with a cracked canopy should contact customer services on 01843 233525 customercare@hornby.com"

Judging by some comments, it seems that early items could have had flow lines, and the moulding company might have tried to eliminate them by having a single entry point for the plastic; this, in turn, left the canopy with only a single attachment, so it was free to twist, and therefore crack. The same single entry might also have meant air being trapped by the inflow of plastic, since it had nowhere to escape, hence the distortion. This is all speculation (aka guesswork) of course, but I think it should be remembered that this is Hornby's second large-scale kit, in only 7 years, so they are still learning.

Edgar

P.S. I left it for a few days, and told Hornby, yesterday, about my canopy being cracked; today I've been told a replacement is on its way, and they added that they've changed the flow, in the mould, to fix the problem.

Edited by Edgar Brooks

Here's the response I got from Hornby yesterday:

Dear Mr Brown
We have today despatched a canopy.
Very sorry you have experienced problems with the product A19002.
The problem with the Q sprue, is not common to all the kits.
The sprue feed was changed to eliminate this problem.
There is a very slight dimple in the canopy, we have been informed when product is completed
Will not be visible.
Regards
Airfix spares.

IMO the dimple is not 'very slight' and the one on the windshield is pretty bad too. Looks nothing like the test shots or the one Brett Green built for his book (judging from the online pics-I don't have the print book) . Will reserve judgement till I see the replacement though.

Cheers

Joe

Edited by bulmer69

Here's a slightly more positive one that I received today, having said that I have a usable crack free canopy that has a slight dimple that is not apparent unless I really look hard.

Sorry for the inconvenienced cause with the clear canopy Q1 from the product A19002 also you were only sent one sprue instead two .another sprue will be sent thursday.

We regret that we unable to supply the canopy without the slight dimple.

Attempts are being made to correct, but this has not been achieved to date.

We have your HC number and if we can improve the canopy in any way will send one of these.

The product development team assure us that when the model is complete not so visible

Best regards

Cheers

Dennis

Just got my Typhoon this past Tuesday.  The canopy looks fine.  If there's a dimple, I didn't see it.  Actually, the whole kit looks pretty outstanding!

Now, with my "How to build the Typhoon" book in hand along with several jars of RAF interior green (and other colors) the big decision is go with the kit decals, or get all fired up and order some of the AM ones?

I'm leaning toward a D-Day bird (as are many, I suspect).

Nice to have a kit that won't really require any additional AM, unless you really want it.

Regards,

Tim W.

Edited by TimW

Not visible when complete???? Blahahahaha.... Are they on crack?

Perhaps it might pay to have one in-hand, before indulging in sarcasm? Mine arrived, today, and the "dimple" is less a physical item than an "entity," since it's an oval, about 1/4" x 1/8" which can be seen by turning the canopy until the light catches it, and, over written words, has a magnifying effect, but, over a plain background, does disappear. Edited by Edgar Brooks