HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

I'm stunned, Kev.

Such a beautiful, clean build.  Makes my mouth water to build my own, but I'm going to wait a while longer for the ZM version and see what I think.

John

Thanks for the kind words John. Deciding to have everything open has certainly complicated the building and painting process on this one, even though everything is actually designed to be open. The finished model will certainly have a lot of presence though!

Kev

Well folks, I'm happy to report that I was able to remove the front piece, trim the attachment pegs, and reattach it in the correct position:

FeUMyC.jpg

But of course, now I have a new problem! The propellor shaft is too long, and the prop consequently doesn't slide all the way back.

dREysX.jpg

The solution is obvious, but the problem is curious given that this is something I did test earlier, and it seemed OK. It's probably exacerbated by the fact that the silver part is now slightly further back than previously. I mustn't forget to add the exhaust stacks to the front engine!

Kev

WOW!

Coming along in leaps and bounds.  Such a great looking aircraft with substantual gravitas.  She sure looks the business in the green over green camouflage.

With luck you should have clear sailing from here Kevin.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I've just added the pitot tube, as I wanted to leave it off for as long as possible, to avoid breaking it off during handling. Still needs painting though. I hope someone brings out a brass replacement, as it's the one area on every model where I'd opt for the aftermarket part.

Just going off to add a few decals while watching the cricket. I hope you're having a good Christmas mate! I'll send you a PM regarding Phil's vac machines.

Kev

Good fix on the cowling, looks great in the pic with it fixed. Wouldn't you know that would screw up something else! I am assuming the prop is an easy fix?

Thanks Ray. I just need to shorten the prop shaft, which is quite long, as you can see in the photo below. It actually includes a separate extension that acts as the blast tube for the nose cannon, and should end flush with the end of the spinner, sitting neatly in the hole at its centre. The trick will be shortening it to exactly the required length, and without breaking anything else!

Anyway, I've started adding the decals:

j1mRHr.jpg

The kit decals, by Cartograf, are fantastic! I have a bit of silvering under the starboard cross though, so I'll have to deal with that. I also haven't added the fuselage crosses or codes yet, as they require cutting up to accommodate the open access panels. A bit of planning to do for that.

I've also installed (and painted the upper half of) the pitot tube, and also the gun muzzles. Speaking of guns, I forgot to install the cowl gun tubes prior to adding the cowling top piece, so I had to remove it, and then had a devil of a time getting it all back together as intended. Got there in the end though, but I do need to touch up on of the gun tubes a little.

As always, thanks everyone for checking in.

Kev

Damn Kev, she looks just beautiful mate!! Am a little surprised you left the top cowling part etc as a latter addition after painting... I am usually terrified of doing that as it almost always ends in a disaster but luckily here it has turned out great! Man, what a big bird!!! Really impressive in 1/32 scale!!

Cheers

Alan

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Somehow fixing and correcting one part has an unexpected effect on another part down the road a bit and it's always a surprise to which one it is, when it finally pops up. Glad you were able to correct the prop shaft without too much fuss and keep things on track. Decals sure are looking good and the Do335B is looking so good as you close in on the finish.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks once again chaps! As it turns out, I misspoke about the prop shaft. After consulting photos, I realised that the prop shaft is in fact the correct length, and is supposed to protrude slightly from the end of the spinner. The actual problem was that the opening in the spinner was slightly too narrow, and needed to be opened up a fraction to allow the shaft to pass through. This has now been done, and we're back on track!

Kev