October 27, 1967, Mission To Hanoi: VA-196 A-6A (12/26 Update)

I'm building this one as a tribute to B.K. Bryans and Phil Waters, who flew this mission aboard 401 (Buno. 152626). They flew down streets in Hanoi below the level of the buildings' rooftops to avoid the tremendous antiaircraft fire, and dodged several SAM's. After the mission an aircraft maintenance chief presented Capt. Bryans with the throttle quadrant, which was bent forward 18 degrees. Both crewmen were nominated for the Navy Cross (BK Bryans (2011) Flying Low, 3rd edition).

Since then Capt. Bryans has authored several books, and I've very much enjoyed and recommend the several that I've read. You can check them out at bkbryans.com, or search at Amazon.

With this build I'm lucky for several reasons: I've been in contact with him to learn more about the specific aircraft he flew, Petrov has made decals for this specific aircraft, and I'm able to see the corrections that I'll need for the Trumpeter kit from the fine previous builds posted in the LSP forums.

I've started by removing some of the details from the fuselage halves inaccurate for the “A†version, and launched into the cockpit. I'm really enjoying this build, and being in contact with the pilot who flew this aircraft makes this one of the most meaningful and worthwhile builds I've done in a while!

Cheers, Tom

80b8a7e1-4418-4200-a93d-dab06b05ad09_zps

189aaab5-5213-4526-8b0a-52c09b19902a_zps

27cd9c93-3339-4bf1-9401-c2e30dc8db70_zps

70d9447a-15c2-4905-bb61-5fbced87e071_zps

81dea03c-ea7d-49ea-a0bd-735796d60408_zps

f48c834e-68f0-4faf-bff6-78939241d216_zps

Edited by Uncarina

Tom,

Teresa and I are on call 24 hours a day and can work more then 7 days a week at times. I'm still going to get my Scooter done in 6 Mo's though!  :)

Looking forward to more progress!  It's a neat jump from Props to jets isn't it? I am having fun!

Paul 

Sounds good to me Tom.

Although I think I will be asking more of you than you of me! LOL

As with most aircraft that I really like, once I start working on them I find that my knowledge of them, Intruder included is woefully inadequate.

Oh well there are several good builds going on so I can catch up quickly!

Talk to you soon,

Ted

Sounds good to me Tom.

Although I think I will be asking more of you than you of me! LOL

As with most aircraft that I really like, once I start working on them I find that my knowledge of them, Intruder included is woefully inadequate.

Oh well there are several good builds going on so I can catch up quickly!

Talk to you soon,

Ted

Ted, just let me know if there's anything I can find out. Also, if you haven't already, check out the Intruder builds by Blackbetty, Petrov27, Reconspit, and P. Stoner posted previously on LSP.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina